North Georgia new guy

Howdy y’all, I live in Cumming, GA (About an hour North of Atlanta) I primarily bow hunt whitetail and night hunter coyotes.

I have taken one trip out west for Antelope, didn’t really know what I was doing. Saw over 200 on private land, but not a single one on public.

Also working to kill my first bear here in N GA this weekend.

Looking forward to connecting with more hunters!

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new member.

Eddie

mooster

WKR
Howdy y’all, I live in Cumming, GA (About an hour North of Atlanta) I primarily bow hunt whitetail and night hunter coyotes.

I have taken one trip out west for Antelope, didn’t really know what I was doing. Saw over 200 on private land, but not a single one on public.

Also working to kill my first bear here in N GA this weekend.

Looking forward to connecting with more hunters!
Bear aren't hard, just the hiking. Lot of boots on the ground time will pay off in a bear. Fresh scat is key. Keep walking until you find it. Good luck.

mooster

WKR
how'd the bear hunting go? I haven't made it up to the mtns ye this year but hope to soon.

My buddy who just wrapped up a stint with the military has asked me to teach him how to hunt. I’m a life long western mule deer hunter, so North Georgia is new to me (well… whitetail in general to be honest). Does anyone here have anything good to say about blue ridge wma or coopers creek wma in union county? I’d love to chat. Don’t need any super secret spots, just a confirmation that deer live there haha thanks guys

mooster

WKR
there's deer on both. its nice in GA that the bear season and deer seasons are concurrent so you have a chance at either while hunting one or the other. just watch the regs specific to the WMA's for dates. If you hunt the Chattahoochee National Forest that generally surrounds these WMA's, the dates aren't so limited.

there's deer on both. its nice in GA that the bear season and deer seasons are concurrent so you have a chance at either while hunting one or the other. just watch the regs specific to the WMA's for dates. If you hunt the Chattahoochee National Forest that generally surrounds these WMA's, the dates aren't so limited.
Awesome, thank you. I’ve started to consider the bear option like you just mentioned. The research continues!

mooster

WKR
Awesome, thank you. I’ve started to consider the bear option like you just mentioned. The research continues!
best resource for bear hunting is the GON Forum, the Bear forum specifically. Short version is hunt bear early as possible while the white oak acorns are still on the trees. Look for multiple fresh scat piles and broken limbs under bearing trees. You'll walk a lot to find such, but once you do, that's the spot. Set up downwind and wait. You wont beat their noses, so keep yourself in proper wind direction. Once the white oaks are done, move on to red oaks & hickory. September is the highest probabilty, so this means archery season. There are a few limited week long WMA gun hunts, but they can be crowded. I prefer to hunt the national forest to avoid crowds.