North GA Bear

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider
An Army buddy and myself went for a bear hunt in the NF this weekend. We left Columbus Friday after work and arrived at the trailhead after the sun had set. We laced up our boots, strapped our bags on and walked in 3 miles to the area we wanted make camp for the night. Early the next morning, woke up to a crisp breeze and the first “cool” morning of the year. Shortly after we were headed across the acorn scattered ridges of the Blue Ridge Mountains in pursuit of a bear. We had split up with the game plan to cover more ground and 30 minutes later I heard a shot ring out from the direction he travelled. He had shot his first bear 30 minutes into the hunt and the real work had started. We decided to suck it up for 5 miles and pack everything out in one trip with only one stop for a snack. About 3 hours later we reached the trailhead and got the meat on ice. It wasn’t a big bear but it was big enough to add 45 to 50 pounds to our packs. What was supposed to be a 2 day hunt and some fly fishing turned into 1 day and some good times had. I was happy to help him get his first bear and pack it off the mountain.

Attachments

• 26E39868-85DE-4A20-B798-E5DB5B885948.jpeg
    26E39868-85DE-4A20-B798-E5DB5B885948.jpeg
    753 KB · Views: 94
OP
JMasson

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome! I was in the CNF this past weekend, saw both hogs and bear that didn’t present an archery shot.
I almost went this weekend too. Wife and kids were out of town but I had my dog in the house so I had to stay to take care of her. Would’ve been the perfect weekend to get away. Hunted deer instead and passed on three sublegal bucks.

willtim

WKR
I just got back from spending five days in the woods. No white oaks this year so the bears were really hitting the black gum. We need rain in a bad way.

Benzburr

FNG
An Army buddy and myself went for a bear hunt in the NF this weekend. We left Columbus Friday after work and arrived at the trailhead after the sun had set. We laced up our boots, strapped our bags on and walked in 3 miles to the area we wanted make camp for the night. Early the next morning, woke up to a crisp breeze and the first “cool” morning of the year. Shortly after we were headed across the acorn scattered ridges of the Blue Ridge Mountains in pursuit of a bear. We had split up with the game plan to cover more ground and 30 minutes later I heard a shot ring out from the direction he travelled. He had shot his first bear 30 minutes into the hunt and the real work had started. We decided to suck it up for 5 miles and pack everything out in one trip with only one stop for a snack. About 3 hours later we reached the trailhead and got the meat on ice. It wasn’t a big bear but it was big enough to add 45 to 50 pounds to our packs. What was supposed to be a 2 day hunt and some fly fishing turned into 1 day and some good times had. I was happy to help him get his first bear and pack it off the mountain.
Congratulations!