Noob looking to camp and backpack more

NewWind

FNG
Hey y'all. I've been getting out camping more lately and I figured I wanted to start upping my game in terms of comfort and time spent in the wilderness, so I'm here to find knowledge and get gear recommendations, and hopefully become a better outdoorsman. Cheers!

OP
N

NewWind

FNG
Welcome. Hope you have money. The gear rabbit hole is endless.
I'm really glad I'm not starting out from absolutely nothing. If I was I feel it'd be very daunting for sure.

Some key things I'm currently looking to change up are my backpack and my sleep system, but both of the ones I have no are workable. I think I know what I'm going to do for my backpack, but I still need to do a lot more research on my sleep system. Both are both looking like they may end up being a spendy venture for me.

Describe the kind of camping you're into. Car camping, hike thrus, hammock camping, number of people. etc.

I'm really glad I'm not starting out from absolutely nothing. If I was I feel it'd be very daunting for sure.

Some key things I'm currently looking to change up are my backpack and my sleep system, but both of the ones I have no are workable. I think I know what I'm going to do for my backpack, but I still need to do a lot more research on my sleep system. Both are both looking like they may end up being a spendy venture for me.
I upgraded both those things a few years ago and I'm happy with what I'm using now. The game-changer for me was the Thermarest NeoAir X-therm. I had no idea an inflatable pad could be so light and so comfortable at the same time. I have a bad back and that thing is worth its weight in gold to me.

An inexpensive inflatable pillow (or two) goes a long way as well and they take up zero space and weigh practically nothing these days.

As for the pack, that is a rabbit hole indeed. I tried Mystery Ranch packs but they just didn't suit me. I eventually settled on the Eberlestock F1 tall Mainframe with batwings. I'll put my camping gear in a dry bag between the batwings, supported by the meat shelf. I added a lid from my old Dragonfly pack and that thing just works fantastic. I drop the camp bag and lid at the campsite, fold up my the meat shelf (a mod I did myself) and just hunt with the batwings as a day pack.

Good luck in your search. I hope you find what you need.

OP
N

NewWind

FNG
Describe the kind of camping you're into. Car camping, hike thrus, hammock camping, number of people. etc.
While sometimes it'll just be a casual trip to drive out so where and camp wherever I find, I want to start focussing more backpacking trips off trail with a small group of friends (up to 4). Sometimes I am alone. Some trips more for practicing skill building will be built around the idea of travelling less but practicing navigation, bushcrafting skills, low light navigation with NODs, things like that. Essentially I'm looking to expand my LARPing to include more of an outdoors element aside from going out just to shoot.

Okay...your shelter and sleep system need to meet specific needs. What temp range will you experience? Are you a big guy capable of bottoming out most mattresses? Do you prefer floorless, a nest or the option to select either? Ever packed a stove? Ever try a hammock? Where and at what elevations will you be? Year 'round? Any serious weather? Snow? Extreme heat? How many people in YOUR tent?

OP
N

NewWind

FNG
Okay...your shelter and sleep system need to meet specific needs. What temp range will you experience? Are you a big guy capable of bottoming out most mattresses? Do you prefer floorless, a nest or the option to select either? Ever packed a stove? Ever try a hammock? Where and at what elevations will you be? Year 'round? Any serious weather? Snow? Extreme heat?
As far as temp range, it can get a bit colder than freezing in some of the areas I'm looking at (however, actually calling in freezing weather is still something I wanna be cautious about to start and would rather focus on squaring everything else away first). I'm not looking at blizzard or arctic type camping, just sometimes down to very cold.

I'm a pretty small dude, only 5'6".

As for floorless vs nest etc... I'm still learning a bit but given that I'm in the Pacific Northwest I think I'll want something with a nest given how it often rains here (even though it isn't necessarily pouring).

I just pack a cheap backpacking stove and fuel right now. Nothing for heating or anything like that.

Not tried a hammock.

Elevation varies, but the places that I just checked were between 1400' and 2000'. Certainly could go higher than that, but none of what I'm looking into at the moment seems to land outside of that range. All pnw.

I wouldn't expect snow or extreme heat often, however snow is definitely something I could encounter irregularly, but with more regularity as I go out with the intent to have more winter camping trips.

Most anything including just laying on the ground and going to sleep is comfortable here in the non-rainy summer, but when it comes to rain and wind that's the biggest struggles I've faced here. I also like to be able to look outside of my shelter a lot, so if I used either a tarp or my tent has some sort of awning to keep rain away from the doors/ bug mesh windows that's ideal for me.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
It's fantastic, in my opinion, that you are looking into camping and backpacking before combining it with hunting. Spending time alone in the back country has a huge learning curve, and most guys try to pair that with simultaneously learning something that has an even greater learning curve (killing big game animals on public land).

OP
N

NewWind

FNG
It's fantastic, in my opinion, that you are looking into camping and backpacking before combining it with hunting. Spending time alone in the back country has a huge learning curve, and most guys try to pair that with simultaneously learning something that has an even greater learning curve (killing big game animals on public land).
Tbh I'd just feel like a huge piece of shit if I managed to take down an animal then not have the skills to get it back out of the woods with me.
Budget? Max weight? Any other specs or creature comforts you want?
I'm thinking my budget will be up to $500 but cheaper is obviously preferred. I also don't know much about what weights I can reasonably expect, but my snugpak stratosphere is like 2lbs if I remember correctly, and I can't imagine going up to 5 or 6lbs would be too much of a hindrance right now. In my tent it will be a maximum of myself and one other person (usually girlfriend).

This also drives me to wonder if I should have a separate tent for when I'm gonna have my girlfriend in the tent with me and one for when I'm alone.

The biggest things as far as creature comforts I want is being able to see outside of my tent, and maybe a few internal pouches for storing things like a flashlight, notebooks, etc...

I also am obviously still really inexperienced so I'm open to a lot of suggestions and advice about what options will meet my needs.

Find a used Tarptent SS2...has a removable nest, is light, big enough for two comfortable and taller than the ones they sell now.

2014-06-04 12.46.20.jpg

Now for your sleep system you will want something like the EXPED LW MegMat 10 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N2AVWU...mp-feature-pcomp-wm-8&ref=aa_pcomp&th=1&psc=1

and a couple of sleeping bags you can zip together. So many options there...you can find used deals everywhere. Or get the Enlightened Equipment two person quilt...which is a much better, more comfortable, lightweight and packable solution IMHO but they cost more. This covers your basics.

Enlightened-Accomplice-in-tent-1536x1151.jpg

Get a solar shower for the GF...this is more for your enjoyment than hers. :)

Solar-Shower.png

Last edited: