Non-Resident to Resident Points?

This may be state specific...

But let's say you have 5 non-resident points in Wyoming and you move and establish residency in Wyoming. Do you now have 5 resident points in Wyoming?

I ask because I'm considering getting out of certain preference point draws. Wyoming sheep specifically. Looking at the numbers (assuming nothing changes to the system in my lifetime!) I would be guaranteed a Wyoming sheep tag when I'm about 110 years old. So I'm thinking about continuing to enter the random tag units in years I don't have a hunt planned, but dropping out of the points game...

Maybe a ridiculous scenario...but, it looks like if I moved to Wyoming and my points transferred, I could possibly draw a tag when I'm 66 years old. Ha! So maybe I keep playing. (Again assuming no changes are made to the point system, tags available, and tag allocation).

Do points transfer residency?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
People do it for that reason all the time. Some people have tried to shirt the system a bit to close and don't fulfill all the requirements. Utah recently convicted a well known Arizona guide who "moved" to cash his sheep points out as a resident. He failed to meet the requirements of a resident because although he rented a house in Utah they found he was living part time with his wife who still stayed in thier family home in Arizona. Games people will play to kill a sheep

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

deadwolf

WKR
Even if you are applying in units that have a random tag you would still accrue a point would you not? Essentially still playing the points “game”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
dreamingWest
For Wyoming 2019, as best as I can tell, you don't get a "free" bonus point with your application. You would need to buy one during the preference point purchase later this year. No one quote me on this! I'm about to apply so I'll find out shortly.

As ridiculous as it sounds, 66 year-old self may be happy with 33 year old self for staying in the points game. Considering $150 point fee, the going outfitter rates, estimated inflation, interest rates, and market growth...some quick math says it would still be slightly cheaper than a Dall hunt. But, I would be really surprised if tag numbers and the current preference point system make it 30 more years. And who am I kidding, I'm going to have to book a Dall hunt very soon...

Last edited:
OP
dreamingWest
Yep. The application includes the preference point. I guess I forgot because last year I just bought a point since I already had a big hunt lined up.

My original question may still be useful for others. But it doesn't really effect my decision because I'm sure I'll keep putting in for a random tag and therefore getting points.

Trial153

WKR
I am out, dumping 11 sheep and moose points. 300 hundred for a shot at one random tag with .0002 odds is tossing good money after bad.

Last edited:

lonedave

WKR
I don't really have any input on staying in or not as a non-resident, but I can validate your 66 year old timeline. I started putting in for sheep here in Washington as a 14 year old resident in 1972. I finally drew in 2014 after putting in every year for 42 years, luckily all as a resident. We didn't start the points game until 1996 though. If I had to do it over, I wouldn't change a thing, other than start saving at your age for that Dall hunt. I can guarantee you wouldn't regret it!

wytx

WKR
It happens in the random draw, my spouse drew a sheep tag with max PP in the random draw years back.

Kodiak

FNG
Your moose and shee points transfer no problem. The year it takes to get your residency you will have to pay as a nonresident thought. I knew I was moving to Wyoming so I bought a point as a nonresident for sheep and nose and there was no issue in the transfer. Deer elk and antelope points will be lost thought. If you have em us em the year it takes to become a resident

madtom

FNG
Yep. The application includes the preference point. I guess I forgot because last year I just bought a point since I already had a big hunt lined up.

My original question may still be useful for others. But it doesn't really effect my decision because I'm sure I'll keep putting in for a random tag and therefore getting points.

That used to be the case, but starting this year, you must buy your preference points separately starting on July 1. So, you now can play the random odds and not accrue points.

deadwolf

WKR
That used to be the case, but starting this year, you must buy your preference points separately starting on July 1. So, you now can play the random odds and not accrue points.

That seems like a large potential loss of revenue for Wyoming does it not? A guy with zero points could just play the random draw odds forever and not pay the $150.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk