Non-Migratory Elk

September archery hunt planned this year in a lower elevation unit (2,000-7,000ft) with a lot of rolling breaks and a smaller portion of higher elevation that is mainly timbered on north slopes. Most of my research shows that there are mainly non-migratory elk populations in the area.

For those with experience in similar units, do the elk seem to follow similar seasonal & daily patterns as migratory populations as in that they summer up higher and work their way down through the season? Through the day do they still typically feed down low at night and bed in timber up high during the day?

Marble

WKR
They move with the feed and frequent the same areas. I can find them near where I live year in the same area. All of the elk around where I'm at pretty stay where they're at year round.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

My observations in lower elevation areas with resident elk is that they will reliably bed in the coolest possible places regardless of elevation. Usually the steepest timbered north facing slopes or in steep rugged canyons with the least amount of sun exposure throughout the day. In these types of high desert environments I've seen Elk bed down below where they were feeding all night in order to be where it's coolest during the day so don't always assume they go down at night and then back up. Just find the coolest shadiest spots during the day and then look for the nearby feed and water.

OP
K
Thanks guys. Lots of good info confirming my suspicion that I should get rid of my normal vertical movement assumptions and focus on water/feed/shade when hunting this type of unit.

Lkellogg

FNG
September archery hunt planned this year in a lower elevation unit (2,000-7,000ft) with a lot of rolling breaks and a smaller portion of higher elevation that is mainly timbered on north slopes. Most of my research shows that there are mainly non-migratory elk populations in the area.

For those with experience in similar units, do the elk seem to follow similar seasonal & daily patterns as migratory populations as in that they summer up higher and work their way down through the season? Through the day do they still typically feed down low at night and bed in timber up high during the day?
IME, local herds that typically stay in same area year-round and don’t have to migrate far in the winters will continually utilize the same bedding and feeding areas regularly. The biggest change you’ll see is when they do kick off the rut they will split up a bit more and establish their “zones”. If you can find big bulls in the late summer and keep tabs on them that is a good start, then just know when they start looking for cows they will be more mobile so I like to pay close attention to areas that the cows use regularly and the bulls will come with time.

Sounds like the Gila. If your unit is remotely close to the Gila with a high bull to cow ratio, they are on the move in September searching and staying cool the best they can. I’ve noticed everytime I hunt it, they are doing the same thing they were doing the last time I hunted it in the same areas for the most part. However, scout this stuff in July and I may or may not see a single elk. They seem to hole up somewhere other than where I hunt. Which is why I don’t get too discouraged when nothing but cattle and bears are on the cameras.

IME, they feed where the best feed exists, and bed where they have good bedding. And water where it makes sense, even if it's a mile and a half away. Hunting that macro habitat means learning the micro habitat and not blowing the elk up when they are where you can hunt them.

^^^^^this “Lil-Rokslider” seems to know a thing or three. Wish I’d of listened a long time ago! Oh wait I did. Another contributor to my elk killing 🏹🏹🏹🏹🏹🏹

Jaquomo

WKR
^^^^^this “Lil-Rokslider” seems to know a thing or three. Wish I’d of listened a long time ago! Oh wait I did. Another contributor to my elk killing 🏹🏹🏹🏹🏹🏹
Thank you sir! Hopefully my advice over the years, from lots of error and trials, helped you out a little! Not sure what I did to get demoted from WKR to "lil Rokslider" though. I'm still 6' "3, lol!

Thank you sir! Hopefully my advice over the years, from lots of error and trials, helped you out a little! Not sure what I did to get demoted from WKR to "lil Rokslider" though. I'm still 6' "3, lol!
Lmao Lil-Rokslider. I should be thanking you! Yes Lou though i do love to hunt the backcountry when i can, I've been paying attention to your posts over the years and found your information quite valuable. Especially when i kill elk within a mile or two from a road which is where most of my elk have been killed. I do a lot of sitting and listening to the elkwoods when i suspect that elk are or will be in the area. How many times have i seen you talk about staying quiet and patient over the years? Total opposite of the run n gun style all the big names talk about. I know i talk about calling on the forums alot because i love to interact with the elk, but that is just part of my game. I cant tell you how many opportunities ive had by simply listening. Ive heard so many subtle sounds that most people wouldnt even think were elk sounds. And most wouldnt even hear some of these sounds. But there is something to be said about your tactics man. Sitting patiently and listening is just a tip of the iceberg. There is alot of information to be had by doing this. Alot you havent told us. But i know some of those things and have no doubt you have alot hidden upstairs because ive secretly been unlocking these hidden secrets simply by sitting, listening, and being patient with some selective calling now and then. You are a valuable resource my friend.

Jaquomo

WKR
Lmao Lil-Rokslider. I should be thanking you! Yes Lou though i do love to hunt the backcountry when i can, I've been paying attention to your posts over the years and found your information quite valuable. Especially when i kill elk within a mile or two from a road which is where most of my elk have been killed. I do a lot of sitting and listening to the elkwoods when i suspect that elk are or will be in the area. How many times have i seen you talk about staying quiet and patient over the years? Total opposite of the run n gun style all the big names talk about. I know i talk about calling on the forums alot because i love to interact with the elk, but that is just part of my game. I cant tell you how many opportunities ive had by simply listening. Ive heard so many subtle sounds that most people wouldnt even think were elk sounds. And most wouldnt even hear some of these sounds. But there is something to be said about your tactics man. Sitting patiently and listening is just a tip of the iceberg. There is alot of information to be had by doing this. Alot you havent told us. But i know some of those things and have no doubt you have alot hidden upstairs because ive secretly been unlocking these hidden secrets simply by sitting, listening, and being patient with some selective calling now and then. You are a valuable resource my friend.
Thanks, David. Your kind words mean a lot. I learned to hunt elk before the internet, videos, and bowhunting magazines. Before cow calling. We did a LOT of sitting and listening. Now I can sit and listen to the runner-gunners bugling and cowcalling their way to me, and right on past. I've written a lot of articles on elk tactics because I would rather have good hunters hunting well. Unfortunately, too many guys are influenced by the exciting run-gun-calling videos online, and want to do that too. Except way too many do it wrong and negatively educate the elk.

As my buddy cnelk likes to say, the older I get and the slower I get, the more elk I see