No Tag - Can I still be in the Colorado Elk woods?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The CPW has a cool feature on the website. It’s called AskCPW

So I did and here’s the response from the CPW
Well, they cleared that up.........."Ya, you can accompany a tag holder on their hunt and call, but you can't "hunt". "Hunt" means to attract.........." So I guess as long as you're not attracting any elk with your calling, you're good to go. LOL.

sndmn11

WKR
The CPW has a cool feature on the website. It’s called AskCPW

So I did and here’s the response from the CPW

View attachment 424078

Brilliant!

Marble

WKR
Take your shotgun and kill a few grouse while on the way from point A to Point B
I wouldn't be thrilled with someone shooting a shotgun on my hunt, but I wonder if someone could pack a bow with Judo points and shoot grouse while his buddies elk hunted.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

sndmn11

WKR
I wouldn't be thrilled with someone shooting a shotgun on my hunt, but I wonder if someone could pack a bow with Judo points and shoot grouse while his buddies elk hunted.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Absolutely, you could pack a bow with broadheads if you wanted. You could pack a bow with broadheads and one of those basketball sized targets you throw down range and shot where it stops.

None of the above is illegal. Illegal is trying to harm an animal that you don't have a license for, or that is not in season, or that is not the method your license says.

GDP

FNG
Lot's of opinions here but the only one that really matters is the warden in the field. He can write you a ticket if he feels like it. Then it's up to you to prove him wrong...good luck with that. Of course I'll give you my opinion too! As long as you're not carrying a big game rifle, I think you can do about anything you want.

bigjohn2

FNG
Each license holder can take 3 guests on NM state trust lands.
I find this topic very interesting. This year one of the guys going with me to Colorado is bringing his dad to enjoy his archery experience. I never experienced this in past 15 years in the elk woods. Pretty cool!