NM State Trust Land

NCTrees

Lil-Rokslider
Lucky enough to draw a tag to hunt….something….somewhere….in NM. E scouting already in full effect. According to OnX there is a fair bit of “State of New Mexico” property. Presume this is the same as State Trust land? If so, per the sites I’m seeing, “you are responsible for performing your own diligence in verifying whether specific State Trust Lands remain open for hunting….” Site also has a bunch of lawyered up gibberish about not being responsible for data contained therein and a link to some access maps that’s broken. Anyone have the straight skinny on how this works?

dtrkyman

WKR
Absolutely talk with the local warden, game and fish lists them by region on the website. It generally is open to hunting but not always.

I have wardens numbers saved into my phone, very helpful.

Coues123

FNG
First question I'd ask the Game Warden how long he's been in the area. A lot of new Game Wardens pull stuff out of their backside if they really don't know the answer. I've seen it happen several times. If you know you are right get their supervisor or State Police there to document the incident on camera.

From what I understand you can only access state land to scout two weeks before your hunt dates, then actually hunt on your allotted dates. You can only camp in designated campgrounds and must drive on designated roads.

For sure talk with a warden though as I’m sure there is a lot I’m missing. Be sure they know what they’re talking about though. I stopped by the game and fish office in ABQ today to just ask some general questions and left more confused than when I walked in. Of course it might just be me as I can be a tad slow at times