NM or Colorado Tags/DIY Access

TheWhitetailNut

Lil-Rokslider
I've hunted New Mexico Antelope guided a couple of times and really only want to hunt them DIY from here out. Saw many antelope driving through southern Colorado last week for an elk hunt in Nm, so wanted to add that as well. Would like access for up to 3 (My Wife, Daughter, Myself), but if we can make it an annual hunt 2 can hunt at a time.

Moderators please advise if this should be in Classifieds?

YellCoAR

Lil-Rokslider
Well DIY normally means drawing a tag. It is getting hard to draw an antelope tag anywhere. Yearly for those two States not likely. You might could buy tags for private land hunts and DIY hunt, but Price is about the same as guided hunt.

OP
TheWhitetailNut

TheWhitetailNut

Lil-Rokslider
That is what I'm looking to do, buy tags and access. I'm not trying to save money. I like to hunt and don't need an out of work local to slow us down.

Wags

WKR
That is what I'm looking to do, buy tags and access. I'm not trying to save money. I like to hunt and don't need an out of work local to slow us down.

CO offers a few different types of landowner voucher. One is a PLO Tag, Private Land Only and then a general tag. PLO season opens a few days before so there's a plus. However if you only have access to one spot and there's not much usage your SOL. General tags usually cost more and don't necessarily come with private access.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Hahaha out of work local kills me, some guides are that, but a lot are pretty damn good hunters… I’d imagine tags for a buck are around 2k in some units, maybe more in the better genetic units (which is nuts for antelope) probably have better luck buying them in Wyoming

OP
TheWhitetailNut

TheWhitetailNut

Lil-Rokslider
Hahaha out of work local kills me, some guides are that, but a lot are pretty damn good hunters… I’d imagine tags for a buck are around 2k in some units, maybe more in the better genetic units (which is nuts for antelope) probably have better luck buying them in Wyo
I've had a couple really good guides, but I'm fresh off a horrible NM Elk hunt last week and am a little salty. We have 6 points in Wyoming, but with point creep we'll only get to hunt it once.

Hnthrdr

WKR
If you are buying tags in wyo you could hunt every year, there are some otc archery pronghorn hunts but rifle/muzzloader are all draw in co and good units are taking 6+ points for residents

Jimss

WKR
Southeast Colorado doesn't have a whole lot of public land to DIY antelope hunt. The San Luis Valley has a little more public but takes a heck of a lot of pref pts to draw tags. Also, there are OTC archery tags available but most units require pref pts to draw or the purchase of a landowner tag in Colorado. In reality the more public land in a unit the more preference pts required to draw a tag in Colorado.

You can obviously purchase landowner tags in NM but it may take years or a lot of luck to draw a public NM tag. You will also be limited to public land in NM with a draw tag unless you secure permission to hunt private land or go with an outfitter that has private land access. Similar to Colo, some units in NM don't have much public land.

The obvious advantage for hunting guided is you may have access to lots of private land. As you and others are aware, some outfitters are better than others!

def90

WKR
I hunted Pronghorn this year in S.East CO in one of the only units with a sizeable amount of public land.. took 1 point to draw. My experience was that everyone drove up and down the gravel roads and if you actually saw a pronghorn it was a race to see who could get out of their vehicle fast enough to get the first shot off. The only group of pronghorn I saw were on opening morning and they were promptly chased on to adjoining private land by a rancher in a SxS checking his cattle. Other than that it was a lone pronghorn here and there mixed in with a group of cattle around a water hole. I saw a lot more pronghorn between Limon and Denver along I70 which were all on private. As for rifle Pronghorn in Colorado in order to hunt somewhere that you have a chance as a DIYer you are going to need to save up 5-6 points or know a land owner with a fairly large spread.