NM Mule Deer (Bow)

COhaus

Lil-Rokslider
Gents,

I am moving to NM (Clovis) this summer. I am in the process of researching areas for tag applications. I am using Go Hunt and On X to help me decide what area to put in for. Due to job responsibilities I am looking to stay close to Clovis this first year. That being said, I have narrowed down my search to zones that have good chunks of public land (33, 32, 31, 30, 34) close to Clovis. I have no problem walking a few miles and camping to find the deer. I have only hunted mule deer once in western ND and covered 56 miles in 4.5 days of hunting with a buddy. We saw a ton of bucks but were unable to put together a successful stalk on one.

That being said, I won’t be out there to scout before tag applications are due. This is where I am hoping to get some assistance from individuals that have hunted in this area of the state that would be willing to offer some insight into the public land in these areas in terms of terrain, vegetation, road access into areas, density of animals, tips for scouting specific to the area, etc.

A big question I have is what season for archery is better, early or late? What are the advantages and disadvantages of both?

Not looking to get someone’s honey hole but trying to get some starting points or tips for scouting when I do get to NM. Of course assuming I am selected for a tag.

I am reading as much as I can on this forum and the inter webs for info.

Thanks for reading.

Justin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lytro

WKR
Gents,

I am moving to NM (Clovis) this summer. I am in the process of researching areas for tag applications. I am using Go Hunt and On X to help me decide what area to put in for. Due to job responsibilities I am looking to stay close to Clovis this first year. That being said, I have narrowed down my search to zones that have good chunks of public land (33, 32, 31, 30, 34) close to Clovis. I have no problem walking a few miles and camping to find the deer. I have only hunted mule deer once in western ND and covered 56 miles in 4.5 days of hunting with a buddy. We saw a ton of bucks but were unable to put together a successful stalk on one.

That being said, I won’t be out there to scout before tag applications are due. This is where I am hoping to get some assistance from individuals that have hunted in this area of the state that would be willing to offer some insight into the public land in these areas in terms of terrain, vegetation, road access into areas, density of animals, tips for scouting specific to the area, etc.

A big question I have is what season for archery is better, early or late? What are the advantages and disadvantages of both?

Not looking to get someone’s honey hole but trying to get some starting points or tips for scouting when I do get to NM. Of course assuming I am selected for a tag.

I am reading as much as I can on this forum and the inter webs for info.

Thanks for reading.

Justin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The units you mention, 30-34, are nowhere near Clovis. To answer which season is better, it all depends on if you want to hunt deer in velvet, or deer during the rut. I would hunt them during the rut in January any season over a hot September hunt looking for bedded deer. I do miss when NM allowed you to hunt September and January with their archery deer tags though.

Felix40

WKR
Clovis is IN 31 so you cant get much closer than that.

I would scratch 34 off the list since its a 3 hour drive and has fairly low deer numbers. 37 and 38 are worth considering as well.

It will be hot in September but bucks are still in their summer pattern pretty much all month. This is an easy tag to get.

January is supposed to be a rut hunt but its really too late to get much serious rutting. Theres still a good chance to see bucks cruising a little during the day though. More people apply for these tags.

Make sure you apply as a nonresident.

Lytro

WKR
Clovis is IN 31 so you cant get much closer than that.

I would scratch 34 off the list since its a 3 hour drive and has fairly low deer numbers. 37 and 38 are worth considering as well.

It will be hot in September but bucks are still in their summer pattern pretty much all month. This is an easy tag to get.

January is supposed to be a rut hunt but its really too late to get much serious rutting. Theres still a good chance to see bucks cruising a little during the day though. More people apply for these tags.

Make sure you apply as a nonresident.
I was saying 30 and 34 are nowhere near Clovis.

I personally don't think any of those units would be worth paying the $280 nonresident tag cost for though. January tags might be quality tags (idk if all January archery deer tags are Q tags?), which increase the price even more. I would apply for a prime unit on the off chance you draw as a NR. A leftover tag might be available in one of the southern units once you meet residency requirements if unsuccessful in the draw as well.

tlowell02

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think there have been any post-draw leftover tags available in those southern units in years. You will be in the nonresident pool so drawing the January tag will be unlikely but the September hunts might be your ticket. That is, if you don't mind hunting in 90°+ temps.

Fitzwho

WKR
I hunt in 31 quite a bit, mostly south of Eunice. There are good deer in the area, but there are not a lot of them. Just not a dense population. The areas I hunt for quail, etc, and have hunted mule deer once several years ago, are just as far from Clovis, or further, than Unit 34. Unit 31 is quite large.

OP
C

COhaus

Lil-Rokslider
Gents,

Thank you very much for the advice and info. I should have been more specific about how close I wanted to be to Clovis....I am fine with traveling 3 hours to a location which is doable for a couple of 3 or 4 day hunts.

As I said, I plan on doing plenty of scouting once I arrive in NM this summer.

I appreciate you all taking the time to contribute to my research!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TX_Diver

WKR
I hunt in 31 quite a bit, mostly south of Eunice. There are good deer in the area, but there are not a lot of them. Just not a dense population. The areas I hunt for quail, etc, and have hunted mule deer once several years ago, are just as far from Clovis, or further, than Unit 34. Unit 31 is quite large.

I worked in Eunice for a few years. Didn't see a lot of deer but every winter driving around we'd see a few nice ones. That'd be a hard hunt though in that terrain.