NM girl Elk hunt

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Went to NM on the Jicarrila Res. four a four day hunt. My friend got it done on the first morning. I had a shot late afternoon same day, 515 yards, 22 mph crossing wind, I missed :). Never had a look next morning. that afternoon just at sun down I spotted a herd of eight cows at about 125 yards, by the time I had a clear shot they had slowly moved to 170. One cow turned head on, I did not want to take a head on shot so I waited for her to turn to her left, by the time I got a shot it was a quartering away shot , I sent it and hit the mark, she went about 10 yards and went down. We wanted to give it a while but with the sun down, we set out to gather her up. We had a small delay when the wench had issues, which took about 20 mis. to fix. We dressed her out using head lamps in 15 deg. weather. That was fun. We have them cold aging now, which I have done one two other Elk, and will give it another 7 days, then we will set into processing. This will be my first attempt at processing, my friend has done several deer. Any tips would be appreciated. I plan on doing, brats and Italian. 25% pork fat for links and some ground adding 10% beef fat. the rest will be steaks and roast. Loin and tender lion, I'll cut into serving size for the two of us, me and the wife.

Attachments

• Resized_20221109_104855.jpeg
    Resized_20221109_104855.jpeg
    330.4 KB · Views: 120

dtrkyman

WKR
Nice job! Watch some butchering videos on youtube.

I like to wrap steaks/chops in saran and then butcher paper.

OP
GSPHUNTER

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Nice job! Watch some butchering videos on youtube.

I like to wrap steaks/chops in saran and then butcher paper.
I have done the same thing with other wild game, but I use freezer paper. Maybe that's what u meant.

TSAMP

WKR
Check out waltons inc for your sausage making. Great videos on there.

Nice job! Looks like from your pic you are inside the skinning shed the Jics have. I’ve been in there a few times picking up elk for customers to process. Lol Definitely use Saran Wrap then freezer paper. A lot of times a vacuum sealer is not the cure all for long storage. The bags become brittle in the freezer and they do have the tendency to lose the seal. If you use the Saran wrap method just be sure to get the air out as much as possible. Walton’s is a good place to find your seasonings and anything else you might need. Bunzl/Koch is another big supplier. .

OP
GSPHUNTER

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Nice job! Looks like from your pic you are inside the skinning shed the Jics have. I’ve been in there a few times picking up elk for customers to process. Lol Definitely use Saran Wrap then freezer paper. A lot of times a vacuum sealer is not the cure all for long storage. The bags become brittle in the freezer and they do have the tendency to lose the seal. If you use the Saran wrap method just be sure to get the air out as much as possible. Walton’s is a good place to find your seasonings and anything else you might need. Bunzl/Koch is another big supplier. .
Jic. Res. shed, Aye,Aye.

hiker270

WKR
I prefer to vacuum seal my elk meat, your cow will be some excellent eating. IMHO elk's as good as beef if not better!

OP
GSPHUNTER

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I prefer to vacuum seal my elk meat, your cow will be some excellent eating. IMHO elk's as good as beef if not better!
I vac. seal it, then wrap in freezer paper for double protection, and mainly to avoid bag punchers, It has happened a few times and I lost meat and fish. And I fully agree elk is better than beef, and better for you.