NM elk general draw question

hiker270

WKR
Difficult to draw in NM. If you can afford it a landowner tag is the way to go.

I cant for the life of me find when the big game applications open. I see that the deadline is Mar. 22 but when does it open?

Gila

WKR
I live in unit 19. Full of 500 inch bulls bugling on my door step!
There is no GMU 19 open for elk hunting in New Mexico at this time. However every once in a while they will open up new units to elk hunting. Several years ago they opened up two units so you need to keep your eye on the ball. They don’t announce it. The GMUs will be listed in the Rules and Info. There are some non-typical racks out there that would blow your mind....

Mojave

WKR
As a new resident I am 0 for 2 drawing an elk tag. Archery only, go for a couple home run hunts and then a more obtainable tag, guess I need a new strategy!
I have been here for 4 years. Your odds are like 1in 30 to in 100 to draw a good tag. You won't hunt elk here every year.

Most of the people I work with are lucky if they draw a tag (any tag any species) every year.

In 4 years I have drawn a Gila late rifle elk, javelina tag in 28, deer in 34 (meh), deer in 23 (ok), and a bear tag in the Valle Vidal (but covid shutdown the forest, because you know the forest service is stupid).

Work screwed me on the elk tag, USFS on the bear, I gave the rest a valliant effort but came home empty handed.

In the same 4 years, I have a circle of friends that hunt and they have averaged 0-2 tags per year applying for every single species with a mix of rifle, muzzloader and bow.

I only apply for rifle tags in units with lots of public lands.