Nikon Fieldscope ED82 vs more modern scopes?

Marshfly

WKR
I recently bought a grey market ED 50 with the MC2 eyepiece and am extremely happy with it. I am eyeing used ED82s on EBay for less than $1000 as I want to add an ~80mm spotter to the arsenal. I realize that these older designed Nikon spotters, while optically great do not take advantage of modern wide angle eyepieces.

Is that a huge deal? Should I be looking for a more modern scope? I could stretch to the $2k price range but would love to stay at $1k if possible. Just wondering how much the newer wide angle scopes are an improvement over last generation scopes.

Something like this is a better bet (no association with the seller)

Wrench

WKR
The nikon 82ed punches Waay above it's price range imo. The variable eyepiece is hohum compared to the fixed wide angles. Fwiw, my spotter was using my 82ed with the fixed 30wa eyepiece and calling hits on a 10" steel circle at 1500 yesterday.

OP
Marshfly

Marshfly

WKR
Something like this is a better bet (no association with the seller)

This is what I'm up against. Used scopes like this or even the Kowa 77.

I guess the question is, is it worth double the money?

Last edited:
OP
Marshfly

Marshfly

WKR
I am intrigued by the Nikon ED series - the ED50 seems to be a really nice compact spotter, and the ED78/82 seem to be loved by the birding community.
I was shocked at how compact and light the ED50 was when I pulled it out of the box. I can't ever see a scenario when it won't be in my pack. Find them with the Swaro EL10x42s. Get a closer look with the ED50.