Nikon ED50

jkilburg

FNG
I’m new here, but have lurked for quite a while. I just picked up a Nikon ED 50 body for a good deal, and now comes the time to narrow down eyepieces. There’s so much out there on them, and whether to stay to a fixed (20x or 27x) vs. the 13-40x or 13-30x. The size and weight is what led me to the ED50, but with the countless options on the eyepieces, what is truly the best for backcountry utilization? My initial thought was that I’d spend most time using the 20-30x range.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The MCII was nice but I’d really like to have seen the 27x wide. Ended up selling it. In my experience the fixed eyepieces on these smaller scopes really shine. With the small exit pupil higher magnification does not pull in much additional detail and a fixed mag eyepiece will almost always be better optically. I’d buy both and test side by side personally.

Blue72

WKR
The single magnification eyepieces are best. They have a wide FOV and sharp from edge to edge

I really likd the 27x but the 20x is brighter.

OP
J

jkilburg

FNG
Thanks guys for the responses. I ordered a 13-40x to try and will also try the 27x. The 20x is hard to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RussGS

Lil-Rokslider
I have the ED 50 with the 13-40x MCII. It is really good, but I wish I had bought the fixed 27x. As good as the 13-40 is, I estimate that the power I use most is in the low 30's. Above 35 the image deteriorates noticeably.

only one and you may have to do some judging get the 13-40x...luxury item is the 27x, I haven't looked through one, it would be nice I suppose but I rarely use a spotter to find game, most of the time my Nikon comes out it's on a sheep hunt and I'm already on sheep found in the binos and need to start judging, the 40x is very usable on these, wide angle 'pleasure' is meaningless here, sounds like a bird watchers eyepiece...quit playin around with the girly stuff...those aren't for serious work ;)