Nightforce NX8 vs ATCAR vs Swaro X5

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
I had a scope end up not tracking. I'm 2 weeks from a hunt. I'm not here to talk about that. I went looking and I am torn between a NF NX8 2.5-20, NF ATACR 4-16 and a Swaro X5 3-18. Where we whitetail hunt back home, I need good low light transmission for that last 15 minutes. I have read all the threads. What is the consensus? I know NF has the track record of good tracking and keeping zero. Swaro has the great low light glass. I want FF2 as well.

huntnful

WKR
I'd personally get the 4-16X50 ATACR. That'll check all your boxes for sure. I have used them all. The swaro has maybe 5% better glass and is lighter. But i like stuff I can totally trust, and that swaro turret feels like total garbage honestly. But I've never heard of one losing zero or not tracking either.

ATACR….. better glass and eye box than the NX8, and a more robust build as well.

Swaro will have better glass than all of the NF, but no way I would ever buy any Swaro if I am dialing turrets. Simply not reliable in that department.

LightFoot

WKR
I have all three of those. They are each very good if not great.

If you want the FF2 (meaning second focal plane?), then I think you are limited to the NX8 F2 and the Swaro.

The Swaro and ATACR both have better glass than the NX8. The advantage to the NX8 is the “2.5x” and the lower price tag.

I think the NXS is still a good buy if you was ultra-reliability and do not need more than 10x (which 90+% of hunters don’t). It’s SFP and can be had for $1600 or less.

The 4-16x42 ATACR is probably the best bank for your buck… in the FFP. I’ve used mine on everything from a 6.5 to a 340 Wby. Never let me down.

d6308ba5c376162f81edcae22c562bc7.jpeg

ec6c6a7e73c3b30a92c6e4dbf6e44bbd.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

eoperator

WKR
The swaro has maybe 5% better glass and is lighter. But i like stuff I can totally trust, and that swaro turret feels like total garbage honestly. But I've never heard of one losing zero or not tracking either.
I tipped over my sxs at low speed with a swaro x5i strapped to the hood in padded plano type hard case and scope coat. The x5 failed completely would not hold an 18" group.
20211027_114625.jpg

Samson7x

WKR
I have all three of those. They are each very good if not great.

If you want the FF2 (meaning second focal plane?), then I think you are limited to the NX8 F2 and the Swaro.

The Swaro and ATACR both have better glass than the NX8. The advantage to the NX8 is the “2.5x” and the lower price tag.

I think the NXS is still a good buy if you was ultra-reliability and do not need more than 10x (which 90+% of hunters don’t). It’s SFP and can be had for $1600 or less.

The 4-16x42 ATACR is probably the best bank for your buck… in the FFP. I’ve used mine on everything from a 6.5 to a 340 Wby. Never let me down.

d6308ba5c376162f81edcae22c562bc7.jpeg

ec6c6a7e73c3b30a92c6e4dbf6e44bbd.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

There are F2 models of ATACR available.

I've been strongly considering picking up a NXS 2.5 for it's weight and durability. I'm a FFP fan but really want to try one out.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
If you like to try out new scopes, etc., resale is much better on Swaro in my experience. There is a market for Nightforce, but they don't want to pay. Have had to sell all my NFs on Ebay and even on 10 day auctions they still went for less than 80% of new, even though they were pristine. Swaros will typically bring 85%+ of new.

Glass in Swaro is superior to NF, and it's not close. Brightness, clarity. Eye relief/eye box are also superior.

I do recommend NF if you like to dial and expect to be hard on your gear.

Last edited:

Samson7x

WKR
If you like to try out new scopes, etc., resale is much better on Swaro in my experience. There is a market for Nightforce, but they don't want to pay. Have had to sell all my NFs on Ebay and even on 10 day auctions they still went for less than 80% of new, even though they were pristine. Swaros will typically bring 85%+ of new.

Glass in Swaro is superior to NF, and it's not close. Brightness, clarity. Eye relief/eye box are also superior.

I do recommend NF if you like to dial and expect to be hard on your gear.

No personal experience with that so I can't say, however NF is easy to pick up at discounted prices from select vendors so I'm not paying retail.

I'm more concerned with a scope tracking and maintaining zero in the event of a drop or accident. As noted above, the Swaro didn't hold up and that's not the only instance I've seen of Swaro losing zero.

rootacres

WKR
I was considering the 2.5-20 NX8 when scope shopping this time last year. Much of my research led to people saying the eye box on the NX8 is very narrow. I ended up going with the Mark 5HD 3.6-18. Ive heard great things about the ATACR but liked the package of the Mark 5 better. I don't know much about the Swaro.

Xycod

Lil-Rokslider
I’d personally go NX8 myself, wasn’t impressed with the atcar or the that particular swaro, especially for low light scopes, fov kinda sucked in both especially for the $. If you go swaro stick to the 6’s or 8’s or older ph’s, even the 1 inch 3’s for late evenings are great.

Imo the 2.5x20 is a h€!! of a scope with the reticle being possibly the only drawback for a hunting rig imo. Great glass and the apparent fov is larger that both the others you have listed, the small apparent fov is the reason I sold my atcar and skipped the swaro 5 series.

Last edited:

Sako76

WKR
I have several NF NX8 on 4-32, amazing glass. I also have a couple of ATACR 6-25 and like them a lot, they are very heavy. No experience with Swarovski. Good luck in your search.

Big Ern

WKR
ATACR. Very good glass. Nice, easy to use eye box. Bomb-proof durability and reliability.

Weight penalty is worth it for the peace of mind you get with that scope.

I was considering the 2.5-20 NX8 when scope shopping this time last year. Much of my research led to people saying the eye box on the NX8 is very narrow. I ended up going with the Mark 5HD 3.6-18. Ive heard great things about the ATACR but liked the package of the Mark 5 better. I don't know much about the Swaro.
Have you had good luck with the Mark 5? It’s on my list along with the ATACR 5-25

rootacres

WKR
Have you had good luck with the Mark 5? It’s on my list along with the ATACR 5-25
So far so good. I upgraded from a Vortex Razor LHT (which I also had great luck with, sold to my brother and he took his bull this year with it). I harvested a bull at 300 yds this year. Seems to track fine. My longest range is 600 yds so I take it from 200 to 600 pretty frequent. I really like the reticle, I went non illuminated. The package is real nice and the locking turret is nice.