Nightforce Advice

Dave_S

FNG
I am looking to purchase a scope for a deer rifle and have settled on a Nightforce. I am looking at either the SHV 3-10 or the NXS 2.5-10. Aside from the obvious differences (adj. parallax, capped vs uncapped turrets), they seem to both fill a very similar role. I really don't have much experience with rifle scopes and I'm looking for some input on whether the NXS is worth the fairly significant jump in price.

OP
D

Dave_S

FNG
Thanks for the feedback, I was leaning towards the NXS, but wondered if I was just wasting money.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
I have two NXS scopes and am pondering getting another. My favorite ever.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Of the 2 IMHO the NXS is worth the extra money. I have them on all my primary hunting rifles and really like them - reticles aren't perfect but the scope is certainly great for 99% of what I hunt. The NXS is also a bit lighter weight if that matters.

The only issues you might run into is either one of those scopes are pretty short so if you are putting this on a long action rifle you might need to run a rail and rings to get it mounted properly, if short action you should probably be OK if just wanting scope rings only like a Hawkins or Talleys or??

OP
D

Dave_S

FNG
I'm looking to put it on a .308, so no worries about length

OP
D

Dave_S

FNG
Also, looks like I need to get my post count up so I can access classifieds

OP
D

Dave_S

FNG
At this point, I suppose the choice is obvious, I'll be getting the NXS. Thanks for all the responses!

2-Stix

WKR
I am looking at the NXS 2.5-10x42 myself.

I am stepping away from the Leopold locking CDS and capped windage. Do the turrets spin at all being uncapped?

cmahoney

WKR
I have both scopes mentioned in the first post. No reliability issues with either and the turrets spinning on the NXS’s is a non-issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Schmo

WKR
Maybe it was already mentioned, but the ZeroStop turret on the NXS is far superior to the ZeroSet turret on the SHV. On the SHV, you can actually dial below zero, which might bite you if you aren’t paying attention. The NXS and the NX8 both feature ZeroStop, and it stops dead on zero