NF SHV 4.5-14x50 F1 vs Trijicon Tenmile HX 3-18x50 F2

atmat

WKR
Building a new 7mm PRC elk rifle and wanted opinions on which glass to top it with! I think I’ve narrowed it down to these two options, which I can get within $50 of each other.

I do hunt a fair amount of timber and have never owned a FFP scope, so I’m a bit nervous with low range visibility. Max distance at my range is only 500 yards, so I don’t see me shooting much beyond that.

Nightforce runs a few ounces heavier (30 oz vs 25.7 oz) and with less magnification (14 vs 18), but is FFP (compared to SFP for the Trijicon).
Any thoughts?

OP
A

atmat

WKR
The ffp tenmile 3-18x44 has a better reticle than the shv
Yeah I don’t doubt that. Unfortunately that Trijicon model is running +$500 more than the SHV I’m looking at and +$550 more than SFP HX at EuroOptic, which is why I wasn’t considering it

amassi

WKR
Yeah I don’t doubt that. Unfortunately that Trijicon model is running +$500 more than the SHV I’m looking at and +$550 more than SFP HX at EuroOptic, which is why I wasn’t considering it
You can pick up a used one for around 1k.

JFK

WKR
For 500 yards and in I’d go with the shv 3-10. Top end of 9 or 10 is all you need and you can have a much lighter, more compact scope on your rifle. I’ve got an shv 3-10 and have shot it quite a bit out to 600 without issue. Swfa 3-9 would also be an option. In any case, I’d consider whether you need the big magnification.

OP
A

atmat

WKR
For 500 yards and in I’d go with the shv 3-10. Top end of 9 or 10 is all you need and you can have a much lighter, more compact scope on your rifle. I’ve got an shv 3-10 and have shot it quite a bit out to 600 without issue. Swfa 3-9 would also be an option. In any case, I’d consider whether you need the big magnification.
That’s a totally fair point. In the back of my mind I kind of imagined I’d eventually get into long range shooting and want that mag range. But it may be a pipe dream for at least a few years.

I wouldn’t want a 3-18SFP scope. I’ve never used that one but most of the time the reticle is true at max power and 18x is a lot of magnification to have to be on if you want to hold dope. It’s a narrow FOV, tight exit pupil, and more likely to get into mirage.

FFP isn’t really any issue when combined with an illuminated reticle. You just light it up if you’re losing the reticle on lower magnification.

I wouldn’t buy the SHV either, I’ve had a few including the 4-14 and was very underwhelmed.

The credo 2-10 can be had for less than both of those other options and is IMO a better choice and more than enough magnification for a 500 yard elk rifle.

OP
A

atmat

WKR
I wouldn’t want a 3-18SFP scope. I’ve never used that one but most of the time the reticle is true at max power and 18x is a lot of magnification to have to be on if you want to hold dope. It’s a narrow FOV, tight exit pupil, and more likely to get into mirage.

FFP isn’t really any issue when combined with an illuminated reticle. You just light it up if you’re losing the reticle on lower magnification.

I wouldn’t buy the SHV either, I’ve had a few including the 4-14 and was very underwhelmed.

The credo 2-10 can be had for less than both of those other options and is IMO a better choice and more than enough magnification for a 500 yard elk rifle.
Thanks for the feedback. You’re right that on the HX the reticle is true at 18x. In my mind I’m trying to justify that the math is easy at 9x and that either 9x or 18x should satisfy most needs; but that may be me trying to justify the cheap cost.

TxLite

WKR
Thanks for the feedback. You’re right that on the HX the reticle is true at 18x. In my mind I’m trying to justify that the math is easy at 9x and that either 9x or 18x should satisfy most needs; but that may be me trying to justify the cheap cost.

The HX should be true at 9x not 18 unless I am reading the bottom of the reticle incorrectly.

364B5056-9906-43F3-BF04-E7EE1923B3C9.png

I’ve seen plenty of people mind **** themselves with 5.5-22 NXS’s running them at 11x and doubling everything back before there were many FFP options. Not to mention what’s marked 9x on the mag ring if it’s marked at all my not be true 9x and 18x where the reticle is true may not be dead on 18x. It just doesn’t work out well.

If it’s absolutely between those two optics then the SHV would be the better option, but I think you can do better for the same $$ than either of those options. The 2-10 credo is a good one, and despite what the parrots on here like to say the Vortex LHT’s are excellent and you can get the 4.5-22’s second hand and often NIB for the same price. Euro Optic is blowing out some Eotech Vudu 5-25’s for $1300 too which are also very good optics.

FFP shines when you have a spotter who can tell you how far off your shot may have been. But generally, you won't start seeing the sub-tensions super clearly until you get into 6x + range. OR if you need to hold for wind. FFP lets you use the reticle subtensions at any magnification. Its all I'll shoot nowadays

What is your issue with SHV 4-14? Glass quality, scope tracking, weight, turrets, zero stop?

Last edited:
OP
A

atmat

WKR
The HX should be true at 9x not 18 unless I am reading the bottom of the reticle incorrectly.
It’s true at 18x. The hashmarks are 0.5mil, which makes sense as there’s four hashmarks to reach 2.

TxLite

WKR
It’s true at 18x. The hashmarks are 0.5mil, which makes sense as there’s four hashmarks to reach 2.
I called Trijicon and was told it’s true at 9x. So at 18x you would multiply by .5 like it shows on the bottom of the reticle

Edit to show equation on bottom of reticle
F78C87E1-E313-4293-9DEB-21310980CCAD.jpeg

Last edited:
FFP shines when you have a spotter who can tell you how far off your shot may have been. But generally, you won't start seeing the sub-tensions super clearly until you get into 6x + range. OR if you need to hold for wind. FFP lets you use the reticle subtensions at any magnification. Its all I'll shoot nowadays

What is your issue with SHV 4-14? Glass quality, scope tracking, weight, turrets, zero stop?

That's fine that subtensions aren't visible until 6x+. If you're shooting at a distance where you need to hold elevation or wind then you'll be far enough where cranking the magnification up a little won't be an issue. They why I won't run SFP on more than a 10x max mag optic, thats about the highest you can get away with without the magnification ******* you.

The SHV was just mediocre for the price. The glass was marginal at best, and the shitty feeling turrets with a joke of a zero stop were my biggest complaints. There's just better stuff in the same price range.