Next step warmer gear than kuiu kutana softshell?

jdm-v35

FNG
New to the forum to post but read it very often. I was wondering what the next step up would be for late season waterproof/water resistant gear than the Kuiu Kutana softshell and talus hybrid pants within the Kuiu Brand? I currently user a Mountain Hardware down jacket with Kuiu Kutana softshell over it, and Kuiu raingear jacket/pants(older model with elastic drawstrings). Since I always seem to be drawing late season hunts here in CO I would like to be able to eliminate the down jacket and Kutana and just wear 1 jacket/pants that is warm enough to handle it. any recommendations within the Kuiu brand that would be the next warmer step?
Thanks in advance for any info!

Kutana soft shell is not for warmth. It is there for some water/wind resistance as well as protection for items under it.

How many ounces of down in your current jacket? Compare that to the Super Pro (if you must have Kuiu) and other companies.

OP
J

jdm-v35

FNG
Kutana soft shell is not for warmth. It is there for some water/wind resistance as well as protection for items under it.

How many ounces of down in your current jacket? Compare that to the Super Pro (if you must have Kuiu) and other companies.
I am not sure as my current hunting gear has been used for years now. It is a mountain hardware down jacket from 2014. it works well, but when not moving my current setup gets cold which is why I have been looking toward other options. I like Kuiu as the reast of my gear is Kuiu vias camo but may be open to other options. basically looking for something equivalent of Kutana softshell+mountain hardwarw down jacket I don't mind wearing my kuiu rain gear over it for water/snow proof layer. Under all of it I use columbia omniheat base layer.

Kotaman

WKR
Looks like the new Axis Thermal Hybrid might fit the bill. You’re really asking a lot out of one jacket. I prefer to go light while hiking and throw in a puffy while stationery. I can’t hike in down no matter the temp.

I wore a set of regular axis (not the thermal) pants and jacket with some mid layers in CO this year. It’s a soft shell with some deer insulation but it needed base layers for cold. Specifically up top I had a kuiu tee shirt, peloton 97 shirt, Sitka ambient mid layer and the axis soft shell. it all worked amazingly well from sweaty hikes up some steep grades to some slower strolls With temps from 5-25*. Had to add a down jacket over top for long glassing sits.

IMO I like the idea of their thermal axis jacket, but I am a sweat hog and still prefer to mix and match layers based on conditions and activity.

OP
J

jdm-v35

FNG
Looks like the new Axis Thermal Hybrid might fit the bill. You’re really asking a lot out of one jacket. I prefer to go light while hiking and throw in a puffy while stationery. I can’t hike in down no matter the temp.
I do layer a down jacket under it but its sometimes not enough since I do 3rd/4th season hunts and a typical high temp is 10. ive sat for 4 hours in a blizzard at -2 in the past, but id say average temps are below 20(at the highest)

OP
J

jdm-v35

FNG
I wore a set of regular axis (not the thermal) pants and jacket with some mid layers in CO this year. It’s a soft shell with some deer insulation but it needed base layers for cold. Specifically up top I had a kuiu tee shirt, peloton 97 shirt, Sitka ambient mid layer and the axis soft shell. it all worked amazingly well from sweaty hikes up some steep grades to some slower strolls With temps from 5-25*. Had to add a down jacket over top for long glassing sits.

IMO I like the idea of their thermal axis jacket, but I am a sweat hog and still prefer to mix and match layers based on conditions and activity.
I agree, and layer columbia reflective thermals, a longsleeve, and then a down jacket and then the kutana softshell, and kuiu rain gear if needed, but in late season CO it seems to still not be enough especially if stationary. I don't expect it all out of 1 laye rbut I think the kutana soft shell is just not enough for that specific layer(water/snow resistant with a hood and hopefully some extra warmth)

carter33

WKR
From what I’m gathering as long as the Kutana is keeping you dry you need a warmer puffy/insulation layer. I’m not real familiar with late season Colorado weather but if it’s cold dry snow or not a lot of rain a down jacket would be great. If you expect your insulation layer to get wet or damp in any way you should go with a synthetic puffy, my favorite I have found is the Kifaru lost park parka.

Kuiu specific if you don’t want to worry about being cold just about ever again
buy the burner parka. I used it on unimak island in 38degrees with 30-40mph winds and was toasty. Just went on a caribou hunt at -15 on a snowmachine and purposefully left it behind because I thought I might get too warm with the effort of riding.