Newfoundland Ferry - Weather Issues this weekend (9/23-9/25)?

mzldr2

FNG
Anyone headed to Newfoundland this weekend? We have Ferry Booked on Saturday Night but latest weather shows Tropical Storm Fiona hitting the area this weekend. This will put a kink into hunting next week. Who knows when we will get there?

From the Ferry Website:

Potential Weather Impact​

Marine Atlantic advises our customers that due to impending weather conditions in the Cabot Strait, we anticipate potential impacts to all sailings from Friday, September 23, 2022 through to Sunday, September 25, 2022.

We are continuing to monitor the marine forecast and will provide up-to-date information as soon as it becomes available. The Environment Canada forecast can be found

at: http://weather.gc.ca/marine/index_e.html

If you would like to make alternate travel arrangements, please contact our toll free reservation line at 1-800-341-7981.

I'm supposed to be headed there this Saturday night via Air Canada into Deer Lake. We will see what happens with flights/ferry but I am fairly confident I will be stuck in Toronto for a while. I've emailed the outfitter to see what their plans and expectations are regarding any potential weather impacts. If you don't mind me asking, what outfitter are you hunting with?

OP
M

mzldr2

FNG
I'm supposed to be headed there this Saturday night via Air Canada into Deer Lake. We will see what happens with flights/ferry but I am fairly confident I will be stuck in Toronto for a while. I've emailed the outfitter to see what their plans and expectations are regarding any potential weather impacts. If you don't mind me asking, what outfitter are you hunting with?
We are scheduled for Sat night Ferry.....not looking promising. We are hunting with Newfoundland Wilderness Outfitters in area 24, just southeast of Grand Falls - Windsor. In addition to Ferry delays, also the possibility of roads being washed out and not being able to get where we need to.....UGH! Waiting to hear from our outfitter as well.

Pawvbow

FNG
We are scheduled for the ferry next sat night Oct 1. Hopefully it’s all back to normal by then.

OP
M

mzldr2

FNG
We already been bumped to Monday. All Ferrys cancelled Friday eve through Sun AM. This SUCKS! By the time we get off the boat on Monday night, it will be 8PM and we still have a 5hr drive to where we meet outfitter. Looks like at best we may get 3.5 days of hunting, BUT that is if everything isn't too mangled up from storm.

buzzy

WKR
We are scheduled for Sat night Ferry.....not looking promising. We are hunting with Newfoundland Wilderness Outfitters in area 24, just southeast of Grand Falls - Windsor. In addition to Ferry delays, also the possibility of roads being washed out and not being able to get where we need to.....UGH! Waiting to hear from our outfitter as well.
Good luck. I hunted with them years ago and it was a tough hunt. Tom is a great guy and will do his best. You will have fun for sure and hope the moose will cooperate.

OP
M

mzldr2

FNG
Well, Not going this week. Fortunately, there was a cancellation next week due to vax issues so we are now going next week. Next the 10/1 Ferry now and hunting 10/3 - 10/7.

PA Hunter

WKR
Well, Not going this week. Fortunately, there was a cancellation next week due to vax issues so we are now going next week. Next the 10/1 Ferry now and hunting 10/3 - 10/7.
I will be going one day before you. Starting my drive Thursday, my outfitter told me they are supposed to get hit today and tomorrow.

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
My Uncle and I are driving up to Deer Lake starting Wednesday for a hunt next week (Oct 1). Is anyone looking at taking the ferry from Quebec? It looks like it adds 1000 miles to the drive.

Edit to add. I am driving from VA, picking him up in Upstate NY on Wednesday.

Last edited:

TrueAt1stLight

Lil-Rokslider
My Uncle and I are driving up to Deer Lake starting Wednesday for a hunt next week (Oct 1). Is anyone looking at taking the ferry from Quebec? It looks like it adds 1000 miles to the drive.

Edit to add. I am driving from VA, picking him up in Upstate NY on Wednesday.
I’ll be there the same time as you, pending the area where we’re hunting isn’t washed out. I’m really concerned this storm is going to truly f’ things up for the island. We’ll be hunting outside of Buchans and it looks like the latest path of Fiona has it ripping right into that area through Tuesday. Safe travels!

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll be there the same time as you, pending the area where we’re hunting isn’t washed out. I’m really concerned this storm is going to truly f’ things up for the island. We’ll be hunting outside of Buchans and it looks like the latest path of Fiona has it ripping right into that area through Tuesday. Safe travels!

We're up above Deer lake in Parson's Pond area. Let me know how you all fair.

Are you driving and taking the Ferry as well?

Sucks to spend all that time, energy and money on what might be the hunt of a lifetime for many of you guys.

Then, for something completely out of your control, like this, to happen.....I've been there.

Sending positive energy that it all works out for you all. Good luck.

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
I am very much exploring this as a backup route.

Adds alot of miles (800 to 1000) to the trip, and the road is pretty remote. But, it looks like it's the only other option for crossing if the New Sydney ferry is down.Screenshot_20220924-112923_Maps.jpg

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
^^^^^^
A little extra adventure.

But what if you get all the way up there, and that road has turned to shit from the storm?

Then I'm just flat out of luck....

Are there any private charter planes that do small jumps from Nova Scotia to Newfoundland....?

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
I was just gonna recommend looking into a private charter plane. Split between 6 guys, they should be reasonable.