Newfoundland Combo dates?

I have a combo archery Moose and caribou hunt this fall in Newfoundland. My first trip there

I was booked the last 2 weeks of September but the owner of the lodge said to move it later would probably be better. Have had very warm falls lately and hunting has been tougher

Has anyone hunted Newfoundland lately? Any recommendations on when I should go? How late in October is too late? When is best for bowhunting?

Trial153

WKR
I have had good bowhunting from the last week in sept to first week in Oct for both moose and caribou

Racer00

FNG
We were there rifle hunting the last of September, first of October in '21 and had 4 moose in 3 days and saw plenty more. Did not see any caribou, but they had taken a monster the week before we arrived.

Racer00

FNG
Absolutely. The bull I killed we first spotted 1300 yards away. The guide called for about a half hour. 3 hours later he showed up just below us. I also saw several smaller bulls tending and chasing cows.

PorterNY

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted the last week of October in 2021. I observed 0 rut activity that year that late in October. When we spotted a decent bull, it was a long stalk, about an hour..

keller

WKR
I hunted 3rd week of September 2021.was hot most days.had 1 cold and foggy day.seen more animals that day than the rest combined. 3 guys in camp 3 moose hunters 1 caribou hunter.kilked 2 moose and 1 caribou that morning. Other guy could have killed but wasn't in good enough condition to get it done.

adamkolesar

Lil-Rokslider
The other concern is the full moon on Sept 29, 2023

I don’t prefer to hunt during the full moon
I ended up hunting the full moon (first week of October). Clear as a bell on top of that.
Was very concerned about the moose turning nocturnal.
I ended up killing my moose as he returned to his bed after a night of carousing with the ladies.

PA Hunter

WKR
First week of October is usually my prime time, weather does change the rut. You want cool weather but after the second week of October it can be difficult getting moose to respond to calls. You are more dependent on calling for archery.

rgrx1276

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted last year the first week of October and took a good moose… going back this year the third week of September as that’s supposedly better according to the master guide.. big caribou was taken the week before I got there as well as a couple bears… might hunt bears this year if I take a moose early.

Sako76

WKR
In 2022 I hunted 10/3-9, moose rut was in full swing. I killed a small bull moose and a B&C caribou and saw 40-50 caribou a day. The guides said the next week was the best for rutting moose.