Newbie from So Cal

Hey everyone I'm from OC, been lurking for awhile and binging the podcast figured it's time to join this awesome community. Got into hunting last year with a couple friends and it has been a blast so far. I backpack, target shoot and fish so hunting seemed liked the next logical step. I regret not getting into it sooner but at 26 I have plenty of time to have great experiences. So far I have tried the following in the last 12 months.
  • Dove Hunt In Yuma - Successful despite my two friends and I first time ever hunting, we are returning this year with a plan and hope for even greater success.
  • Quail Hunt San Bernardino National Forest - Had a "mentor" show me the ropes we saw one and unfortunately I missed.
  • Deer Hunt D13- Had no idea what I was doing but learned a ton and definitely learned why to avoid large crowds opening day.
  • Javalina Hunt in Arizona Unit 34A, saw lots of sign but no luck. However, did manage to bag two antelope jack rabbits.
I put in for the draw this year in CA with the strategy of applying for X zones in case the off chance I did draw. Of course I didn't draw, so I'm waiting for D14 leftover tags to go on sale or another local OTC unit and scout like crazy. I'm also building points in other states as well.

Look forward to learning a whole lot more and possibly meeting some new friends along the way!

Zak89

FNG
Welcome, I'm also from Southern CA. Glad to see you're getting out there despite not knowing what you're doing.

Did you draw your second choice? Putting an X zone as your 1st choice then a realistic choice as your 2nd is a strategic way to get your tag in addition to a point.

OP
C
Welcome, I'm also from Southern CA. Glad to see you're getting out there despite not knowing what you're doing.

Did you draw your second choice? Putting an X zone as your 1st choice then a realistic choice as your 2nd is a strategic way to get your tag in addition to a point.

I unfortunately made the mistake of putting other X zones for my 2nd and 3rd choice. I now know better, however I should be able to pickup D14 when it goes on sale as a leftover tag.

nubrun

FNG

That's exactly what I did, easy way to get a point and your tag.