Newbie bow question

I got into bow hunting about 3 years ago and instead of buying new I found a ‘12 Hoyt Carbon Matrix. I think I paid $600 for it completely set up, hard case, quiver of arrows, a dozen broad heads, and even the original paper work and receipts. I added a mod to adjust draw length and that has been it. Bow shoots great and has knocked deer down, but that’s not to say I don’t lust after new things.

My question is, from my understanding when the Carbon series was released back then they we’re supposedly be the cats meow. Hell the receipt for the bow was $1300 back then. In the last 10 years has the technology become that much better on the newer stuff to warrant buying a 2020-2021 model? Obviously I don’t need it, but everyone knows it’s not about how much you hunt, its about how good you look doing it. 😂

Rob5589

WKR
Yes and no. Technology has moved forward from 2012 of course. Enough to really matter to the average archer? Doubtful.

Looking at a somewhat similar situation myself, you'll find bow weights hover around the 4lb and FPS are pretty much all the same, 330 standard and 350 turbo or w/e the designation is, from 2012-Present. Have there been changes? Well yeah, how else do they sell new bows.

Have the changes been enough for me to drop $1200 on a bow? I'd rather buy 2 identical older bows that spec-wise are the same and now I have a backup bow and cash to spare.

If you want a new bow, get a new bow. If you don't, then don't.

I went from a mid/low end 2005 to a flagship 2022. The new bow is so much nicer, more fun to shoot, and just overall enjoyable. I also feel like it will make zero difference on the elk I shoot this fall at under 40y. Sure it will be faster, but I think that elk will be just as dead. If I go longer ranges that's when the new bow takes over.

You don't "need" a new bow, but if you "want" one I'd totally get behind that decision!

I went from a flagship 2009 to flagship 2020 and as others have stated they both will kill game the same. Newer bow has far less hand shock, smoother draw, less pin gap & much Quieter. If your funds aren't unlimited i'd save your money and use it for gas or tags.

Thanks. Buying tags is the easy part. Getting drawn is

That’s the always the dilemma. There’s never any shortage of
Thanks. Buying tags is the easy part. Getting drawn is

That’s the always the dilemma. There’s never any shortage of wants!
Ha ya I mostly being a smart ass. If you have lost confidence in an old bow or something I definitely thinking changing it up is worth it. But just cause you got a new bow doesn’t really mean you will shoot better. I just dropped 1k on a Toelke so I’m being a hypocrite haha

OP
S
Ha ya I mostly being a smart ass. If you have lost confidence in an old bow or something I definitely thinking changing it up is worth it. But just cause you got a new bow doesn’t really mean you will shoot better. I just dropped 1k on a Toelke so I’m being a hypocrite haha
😂

you got a nice bow. i still shoot my 2013 bowtech experience a bunch. i got a v3 last year and sold it becuase it wasnt that much of an upgrade to justify the cost and i actually shot the experience better. i downgraded from the v3 to a vertix but only bc i got a killer deal loaded on it and i like to have a 2 bows in case i need a backup. anything from the last 10 years is fine, just this forum and archerytalk are a lot more fun with a new bow.

OP
S
you got a nice bow. i still shoot my 2013 bowtech experience a bunch. i got a v3 last year and sold it becuase it wasnt that much of an upgrade to justify the cost and i actually shot the experience better. i downgraded from the v3 to a vertix but only bc i got a killer deal loaded on it and i like to have a 2 bows in case i need a backup. anything from the last 10 years is fine, just this forum and archerytalk are a lot more fun with a new bow.
I appreciate the feedback.