New Winchesters(?)

t_carlson

WKR
I'm thinking about picking up a Featherweight in 6.5 Creed to go along with my Christiansen in the same chambering.

However, I haven't kept up with how Winchester is doing lately with all of the changes that have occurred since their bankruptcy.

How are the current ones in terms of quality control and accuracy?

I have one, also had a Christensen for a short time (sold it). Still have the Winchester.

Mine is picky with ammo, and the best I’ve been able to get it to shoot was right at 1moa. But it’s a joy to carry and the rifle is downright beautiful. Action as expected is slicker than butter.

SloppyJ

WKR
Sample size of one but I have a newer model 70 super grade maple in 30-06. Absolutely beautiful gun and the fit/finish is top notch. However, it's SUPER picky with ammo. I'm still trying to figure out what it likes and I'm reloading for it. So far my best performer has been a real mild charge of 4350 and 165gr accubonds. Anything heavier and it's all over the place.

It's too pretty and smooth to sell so I'll rebarrel it if I can't spend more time with it and get it figured out. It'll kill me because even the bluing on the barrel is beautiful.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
How new are you talking? I have a ~ 2017 extreme weather 30-06 that is a great rifle, I can’t really find anything wrong with it other than it’s a bit on the heavy side. For and finish are excellent, it shoots great with multiple hand loads and it holds 5 rounds in the box. It’s a pretty cool gun really. I don’t use it much but every time I pull it out I realize how cool of a gun it is.

SloppyJ

WKR
How new are you talking? I have a ~ 2017 extreme weather 30-06 that is a great rifle, I can’t really find anything wrong with it other than it’s a bit on the heavy side. For and finish are excellent, it shoots great with multiple hand loads and it holds 5 rounds in the box. It’s a pretty cool gun really. I don’t use it much but every time I pull it out I realize how cool of a gun it is.
It's around that same age. Made in Portugal after the FN deal.

To be fair, most of its life it has had a vx3 on top of it. That could be part of the problem. I swapped that for a credo last year and have only put a handful of rounds down it since. Also, it was the first gun I reloaded for so I was still learning. If I spent the same amount of time with it now, I could probably dial it in. However, I tried no less than 8 different factory loads in it and none were very good. Anything 180gr or above is horrible. The best were the cheap federal powershock blue box. I'm also going to double check the barrel clearance and bedding.

I still stand by the claim that it's the pickiest gun I've owned. But just like you, when I pull it out of the safe I just stare at it most times because of how pretty it is. I've finessed some 0.6" 3 rd groups but every time I keep going it will throw one 1.25moa or more.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
It's around that same age. Made in Portugal after the FN deal.

To be fair, most of its life it has had a vx3 on top of it. That could be part of the problem. I swapped that for a credo last year and have only put a handful of rounds down it since. Also, it was the first gun I reloaded for so I was still learning. If I spent the same amount of time with it now, I could probably dial it in. However, I tried no less than 8 different factory loads in it and none were very good. Anything 180gr or above is horrible. The best were the cheap federal powershock blue box. I'm also going to double check the barrel clearance and bedding.

I still stand by the claim that it's the pickiest gun I've owned. But just like you, when I pull it out of the safe I just stare at it most times because of how pretty it is. I've finessed some 0.6" 3 rd groups but every time I keep going it will throw one 1.25moa or more.
That’s a bummer, I’ve loaded the 190g ABLR, 220g partition, 180g partition, 168g ttsx and they have all been easy to get it shooting well.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I'll shove a 180 in there and make it like it if it's the last thing I do. It's personal at this point.
I’ve had great luck with a 180g accubond or partition and 60-62g h4831 loaded to 3.34”.

It’s a basic bitch load but it usually shoots well, out of my tikka that load shoots like a dream, I decked 2 caribou with that load a few weeks ago.

SloppyJ

WKR
I’ve had great luck with a 180g accubond or partition and 60-62g h4831 loaded to 3.34”.

It’s a basic bitch load but it usually shoots well, out of my tikka that load shoots like a dream, I decked 2 caribou with that load a few weeks ago.
You the man! I don't care how fancy it is if it shoots and has decent velocity. You using regular 4831 or SC?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
You the man! I don't care how fancy it is if it shoots and has decent velocity. You using regular 4831 or SC?
They are the same exact thing, the SC is just short grained. The load data is exactly the same, in fact I believe they stopped making the regular and it’s all SC now.