New to Recurves - Questions

OP
Brendan

Brendan

WKR
Brendan,
“Trad” has so many niches....it might be worth exploring these before you pick a style.

i know instinctive aim guys using very primitve gear, and they are successful on whjtetails and hunts where they can setup for a sub 20yd-ish shot. These guys shoot pie plate 15 yd groups... but kill game and have fun without overthinking it. Consistent accuracy is tough, I regularly hear their arrows rattling thriugh the woods on our club 3D archery range.

On the orher end of the spectrum is shooters that use the best ILF gear available and strive for technical perfection. Ive shot with some of these guys and their form is perfect, their repeatable is accuracy amazing.

I like to hit what I’m aiming at....so I’m somewhere in between- grin

I've definitely decided high level for my first: ILF Recurve - 17" Satori was my impulse buy. Looking at long limbs / 62" length, my draw will probably be somewhere around 29". Going to shoot for my first set of limbs to come in 35-40#.

I think this is a pretty good starting point for me, I tend to be more OCD about tuning and setup on the compound side, easy to swap limbs, and I'm the type that wants to be pretty competent at whatever I do... Who knows if I go more primitive down the road...

Last edited:

Kentucky

WKR
I have had a das 17” since I started , 5-6 years ago..personally I didn’t care for satori.. but lots of dudes love them.. thats great..

if I had a 29” draw.. and I had a riser already... I would buy a couple sets of TT Blackmax 2.0 in longs.. 35# and 45#.. those cranked down at your draw would give you 39# and 51#.. great for practice, and hunting.. elevated rest and away you go.. one string length.. as stated above 50# will kill anything in NOrth America with heavy arrow.

I shoot 54# at 28”, but that is relatively easy for me, I didn’t start that way.. it is much different than a compound... my largest gorilla looking buddies have hard trying to shoot my rig because they don’t have the correct muscle control... that, IMO is biggest thing.. if you don’t have that all else goes to shit

Beendare

WKR
I've definitely decided high level for my first: ILF Recurve - 17" Satori was my impulse buy. Looking at long limbs / 62" length, my draw will probably be somewhere around 29". Going to shoot for my first set of limbs to come in 35-40#. ....
62" bow will be a good size for you, hunting wise. If you decide to get a dedicated target rig...a longer riser might be in the cards down the road.

Resources; Good sticky on Aiming and shooting in the Trad section of AT....the one guy commenting- Itbeso, Ben is a world class shooter as are some others commenting.
The Masters of the Barebow #3 is a very good vid on shooting and aiming styles....with Rod Jenkins and some other WC archers.
A mentor is best of course....I had a WC shooter that helped me....and I've shot with a bunch of these guys picking up tips along the way. Stickbow guys are as a rule very helpful....and many times they will offer their bow to let you try.

Guys get all Wrapped about draw weight when its really about what bow you can aim well and shoot with good form. It really is pretty simple- consistently hit what you are aiming at. A decent weight arrow with perfect flight and a very efficient BH is an amazing tool. I can shoot a 65# bow no problem...but then I've shot entire tourneys with a 55# recurve and its a workout...with my accuracy dipping towards the end. Thats what you get with a bow you cannot control....diminished accuracy.

IMO,Hunting Bow weight is a non factor over about 50# with an ILF stick bow, they are very efficient. I've blown through deer and hogs with a 40# ILF recurve.

Compare; A Hill longbow would need to be 65# plus to come close to matching the arrow speed of my 50# ILF rig shooting a 595 gr arrow.....bow efficiency matters.

_______

Last edited:
A few things to think about...

The Tom Clum online course is absolutely worth having.

Tuning arrows with bad form is a nightmare, but as soon as you are able to, start tuning arrows. This is also important when it comes to building arrows, as you will need to be finding components to put in your arrows if you want something to be a reasonable weight for hunting with a 50-55 pound bow.

I made this video a little while ago to help out other newbies. Have a look if you're interested.