New to Idaha - McCall Zone Archery Hunt

rclouse79

WKR
Thanks for the reply, I do understand what you are saying. I know a lot of people make these same kinds of posts and are just looking for the easy way out. My story is real, and to be honest I figured I would get the types of replies to the posts. I am not looking for a free lunch, maybe it's just validation that I am in the general right areas and doing what I should be. I am not in the best of shape, so hiking all those miles is hard. I am putting in some miles and I know I have to do the work.

Sounds like you found a new spot and I wish you the best of luck out there!
Paul
To be honest, you probably wouldn't be a fan of most of the places I have found elk if you are not in great hiking shape. I am usually pooped by the end of a weekend of hard hunting, and I start training months in advance. I hope you are able to get into some elk. Hopefully you have buddies that can help if you get one, or some kind of packer lined up. The amount of exertion required to get into elk is tiny compared to the exertion required to get a dead one out.

Noooooo!!!! Closed forever?
McCall has changed so much, just in the last 5 years. I don't even recognize it anymore. I grew up in Council and spent quite a bit of time around there when I was logging. The locals don't hardly even leave their houses anymore.

Sad to hear - last year we could hardly find a restaurant that was open - apparently they couldn’t find anyone to work…..sad the pancake house is gone forever - it was one of our favorite spots

OP
P

Paul83687

FNG
Good luck, and I mean that.

Success rates vary from 6-16% in the McCall units for archery.

I almost got a raghorn last week but I packed in with my llamas 5 miles and hiked 10 each day I hunted, still with the heat and smoke not the most fun. Pressure will certainly increase as the month goes on.
View attachment 449362
The heat and smoke is a killer! Thanks for the reply, I do appreciate hearing this kind of information. Lets me know more of what I have to do. Good luck!

whoami-72

Lil-Rokslider
Sad to hear - last year we could hardly find a restaurant that was open - apparently they couldn’t find anyone to work…..sad the pancake house is gone forever - it was one of our favorite spots
I'm pretty sure the only "real" breakfast spot available up there now is the Payette dream place. Even they are trying to sell the place currently.