New to Idaha - McCall Zone Archery Hunt

Paul83687

FNG
I am new to Idaho hunting, and doing archery hunt in McCall zone. I am not seeing any deer or elk and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on locations to try. Due to my wife's health I have not been able to get out and scout like I usually would, not trying to make excuses just stating fact. I am just looking for some help pointing me in an area where there may be some elk. I'll put the legwork in, just looking for a helping hand.

whoami-72

Lil-Rokslider
LOL good luck. I doubt anyone is going to give you spots. Plus that unit is so heavily hunted any spots given would have 5 dudes stalking these comments in there before you even showed up.

OP
P

Paul83687

FNG
Thanks, not looking for specific spots... I guess what I meant was looking for me things like elevations, general areas like "around Warm Lake", things like that. I know people don't give out their spots, but there are ways of giving some help without giving away the farm....
Paul

whoami-72

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, not looking for specific spots... I guess what I meant was looking for me things like elevations, general areas like "around Warm Lake", things like that. I know people don't give out their spots, but there are ways of giving some help without giving away the farm....
Paul
Literally saying things like "around Warm Lake" pushes a crap ton of pressure in the area. I used to be willing to tell people the zones I would hunt or the cities I was closest to in just casual shop banter. However, with the internet forums and all the e scouting options, just saying anything close gets your spots discovered real quick. There are a bunch of informational videos and software tools that let you pin point specific areas just based upon the general area in less than an hour let alone saying elevations, etc. I'm at the point now that I don't even tell my grandma which cities or units I'm near lol. Only my wife knows where I'm hunting. A bit excessive but to many people give away ruin hunting by giving away the best part of hunting. With the increase in pressure in Idaho it's harder than ever to actually enjoy a hunt by yourself without getting pushed around by other hunters. For reference, the dear unit I'm hunting this year saw a 3-4x increase in hunters from 2018 to now and it was already one of the heavier hunted areas. Now when I go hunting, I'm just hoping to get a campsite before it's all filled up.

Maybe try finding a hunting partner to share some of the work load.

Hope you enjoy it, it's pretty country over there. Lots of fun entertainment beyond just elk hunting. Just remember, the harder you work for something the more you'll enjoy it.

OP
P

Paul83687

FNG
Thanks, and I understand what you are saying. All the campsites are full and tons of UTV's etc. running around everywhere. I have been hunting a long time, 40+ years and do keep my spots secret, but even those are found by other hunters..... again, not trying to get anyone to give out anything that would give away their spots, just looking for some help.

Wolverine

Lil-Rokslider
Go high higher or lower than you have been hunting. Don't hunt what can be seen from the road. Look over your maps and make a big move. Keep moving till you find sign. Don't use trailheads.

The McCall zone is one of the more dynamic zones in Idaho. It changes a lot from year to year and as you have experienced, has serious pressure as well. It's hot, you have a fire closure in a portion of one of the units and a ton of private ground. Find some water (not hard in most of those zones), seclusion and feed. You'll find elk .

These posts are basically a meme at this point. At times I kind of wish OP was trolling rather than being serious.

OP
P

Paul83687

FNG
Go high higher or lower than you have been hunting. Don't hunt what can be seen from the road. Look over your maps and make a big move. Keep moving till you find sign. Don't use trailheads.
Thanks, that's what I was trying this past weekend. Was at a lower elevation and moved up. Such a big area and deciding on where to move to is the challenge. I have been in 23, 24, and parts of 25..... so a lot of moving around.

Appreciate the kind response.

I was in the McCall zone this last weekend and hiked 9 miles. Didn’t see any sign either but saw lots of hunters. The elk are quiet as well. I’ve got some friends that have had good luck but won’t share locations either but I’m like you, I work a lot so time off to scout isn’t happening either. Best of luck though because after the hiking and camping it was just a loss for us too.

These posts are basically a meme at this point. At times I kind of wish OP was trolling rather than being serious.

freddyG

WKR
If one was willing to put in legwork, they wouldn’t be begging for elk location on an open forum. Just stating a fact....

OP
P

Paul83687

FNG
The McCall zone is one of the more dynamic zones in Idaho. It changes a lot from year to year and as you have experienced, has serious pressure as well. It's hot, you have a fire closure in a portion of one of the units and a ton of private ground. Find some water (not hard in most of those zones), seclusion and feed. You'll find elk .
Yes, the fire makes that side pretty tough. It's also made up of 4 different zones so adds to the dynamics. I have been looking, hiking (not as much as in my younger years) and looking for sign. Part of what I am hearing is confirmation of what I know about hunting, it's hard and you have to get out a lot. Not always the easiest for some people, so I'm glad to hear your comments.
If one was willing to put in legwork, they wouldn’t be begging for elk location on an open forum. Just stating a fact....
Freddy, you have no idea what the circumstances are that brought me here to ask for some basic help. Your fact is so far off it isn't funny. I stated in the beginning why I was asking. If you don't want to help just keep out of it. That's common curtesy.

I have been doing what I can, but due to specific health reasons I wasn't able to do that much. So I thought a forum may help, there are some that are being helpful and others like you that really just want to have some smart remark. You want to PM me I'll share, although you really don't have a right to know.

OP
P

Paul83687

FNG
I was in the McCall zone this last weekend and hiked 9 miles. Didn’t see any sign either but saw lots of hunters. The elk are quiet as well. I’ve got some friends that have had good luck but won’t share locations either but I’m like you, I work a lot so time off to scout isn’t happening either. Best of luck though because after the hiking and camping it was just a loss for us too.
Thanks for the response, part of mine is the work thing, but spent a lot of the year at the hospital with my wife. I didn't hear any bugling and suspect that it is at couple weeks off before that happens. I may only get the weekend at the end of this month and hopefully a few vacation days to do some more hunting. Of course there are more seasons coming this year yet so I am still hopeful.
Paul

Thanks for the response, part of mine is the work thing, but spent a lot of the year at the hospital with my wife. I didn't hear any bugling and suspect that it is at couple weeks off before that happens. I may only get the weekend at the end of this month and hopefully a few vacation days to do some more hunting. Of course there are more seasons coming this year yet so I am still hopeful.
Paul
I’m sorry to hear that about your wife. Good luck with the hunt and you can always pm me and I’ll pass on anything that I’ve seen, or help any way I can

bisblue

WKR
Good luck, and I mean that.

Success rates vary from 6-16% in the McCall units for archery.

I almost got a raghorn last week but I packed in with my llamas 5 miles and hiked 10 each day I hunted, still with the heat and smoke not the most fun. Pressure will certainly increase as the month goes on.
20220902_121559.jpg

rclouse79

WKR
I have hunted that unit for six years and have found a half dozen or so spots that consistently hold elk. I can tell you there are many weekends, especially early, that I hike many miles at multiple different spots without hearing anything or seeing much. I just found a place last weekend I am calling elk heaven. Didn’t see a boot print, bumped elk, saw a ton of sign and it was freaking gorgeous. I am taking my best friend and long time hunting partner of 20 plus years there, and I even had reservations about telling him.
I don’t question your story or motives, but unfortunately too many guys before you have ruined it. I had a guy on a Facebook lake cascade group pm me after I posted some slabs we had landed. He gave me his life story and a big sob fest about how he was out there all day without a bite, before asking where I was fishing and what I was using. I told him my basic technique and what I was using. The dude never even replied or said thank you. Never again. Sadly you are probably going to have to take your lumps until you can burn enough boot leather to find some good places. Good luck.

OP
P

Paul83687

FNG
I have hunted that unit for six years and have found a half dozen or so spots that consistently hold elk. I can tell you there are many weekends, especially early, that I hike many miles at multiple different spots without hearing anything or seeing much. I just found a place last weekend I am calling elk heaven. Didn’t see a boot print, bumped elk, saw a ton of sign and it was freaking gorgeous. I am taking my best friend and long time hunting partner of 20 plus years there, and I even had reservations about telling him.
I don’t question your story or motives, but unfortunately too many guys before you have ruined it. I had a guy on a Facebook lake cascade group pm me after I posted some slabs we had landed. He gave me his life story and a big sob fest about how he was out there all day without a bite, before asking where I was fishing and what I was using. I told him my basic technique and what I was using. The dude never even replied or said thank you. Never again. Sadly you are probably going to have to take your lumps until you can burn enough boot leather to find some good places. Good luck.
Thanks for the reply, I do understand what you are saying. I know a lot of people make these same kinds of posts and are just looking for the easy way out. My story is real, and to be honest I figured I would get the types of replies to the posts. I am not looking for a free lunch, maybe it's just validation that I am in the general right areas and doing what I should be. I am not in the best of shape, so hiking all those miles is hard. I am putting in some miles and I know I have to do the work.

Sounds like you found a new spot and I wish you the best of luck out there!
Paul