New to forum

jcoop7

FNG
Hey everyone, so I am fairly new to the website (which roks!!) and have found some very helpful information from hardcore hunters. I've taken up archery this year and have found it to be very exciting and frustrating at the same time. My rifle hunting skills have only carried me so far as to locate deer but other than that I've been schooled by some smart animals. I scouted and become familiar with an area close to home (SE idaho) that holds some good bucks but gets a fair amount of public pressure. One buck in particular is on the top of my "hit-list" that I've named 9-lives. He gets that name because while scouting during the summer, I watched him narrowly escape a cougar attack!! I'm not too good at scoring bucks but I imagine he would at least go 180+ (see pics, sorry not the best). So my first question to post to the forum is I had him at about 100 yds the other day but he was surrounded by 2 other bucks and 6 does. I ended up getting busted by the does, so how does one put a stalk on a buck when there are so many other eyes and ears around? Thanks in advance and great to be apart of this hardcore family.

Attachments

• 9-lives.jpg
    9-lives.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 94
  • DSCN0935.jpg
    DSCN0935.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 93

velvetfvr

WKR
Does he go to that area everyday and beds in the same spot or very close? I would try a ambush then. But you might have to lay off of him and wait until he gets by himself or when less eyes and ears are near.

Slim Jim

WKR
You just have to be patient and wait until he is stalkable where you are concealed during your stalk so eyes are not to pick up movement

OP
J

jcoop7

FNG
Ya I have tried to set up and ambush him in different areas where I've seen him feed and by one of his beds. My brother actually missed two shots at him by one of his beds. I know one thing, during my stalk after him I was in the right position to have him feed down this draw towards me, but I got too antsy and decided to move into what I thought was a better position and that's when the other deer saw me. I guess I didn't trust or wasn't patient enough with my own plan. I guess i'm still on the early beginnings of the learning curve still. Thanks for the advice.

Tdiesel

Lil-Rokslider
archery mule deer is almost all about patience it seems in my experience. like stated sometimes you just can't stalk them that day because of other animals or location. Knowing when to move or take action only comes with experience I guess. To answer the question I thought about being smart by saying be sneaky but that wouldn't do you any good. Study the habits and choosing the opportune time is what its all about. It takes a little luck I think to kill big muledeer with a bow but then my coach always said "Luck is where opportunity and preparation meet" Keeping track of the other deer is as important as finding the deer you want to shoot. Sounds like you played it about right though until you ran out of patience. Good luck its all a learning experience, My dad said learn something each time. Those that are succeses, but more importantly those times that were failures. Just so you learned something it will make you that much better and that much closer to succeeding.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
That is a GOOD buck. 180" is too low.
I'd just keep watching him to show up alone. You may get a crack at him for rifle, too, depending on the unit. If you hunt rifle that is. Keep us posted and welcome to Rokslide.

Welcome to the slide! And Robby is right that buck is easy 180", SMOKER buck for sure! If you want some good tips on archery hunting and stalking mule deer in general, go check out the "Live hunt" forum on here and read through both the "Game On" thread, as well as Robby Denning's Colorado Muzzle loader hunt! LOTS of pearls of wisdom in there from some great hunters... best of luck getting that pig!

Mike

OP
J

jcoop7

FNG
So no luck on ol' "9-lives" this morning as I went out. I did see another shooter 4point that I could've got a shot at had the coin landed the other way. I was debating where to set up this morning as I have seen multiple bucks cross this saddle ridge. I decided to go high on the ridge rather than lower just to be able to see both sides but sure enough as it got light, that buck ended up crossing not 30 yds from where I was going to set up!! I tried to see where he went as he slipped out of view from me but them old bucks are sneaky, I never did see him after that. Only got one more week to try to close the deal on my first archery buck, hopefully it will be with me putting an arrow through 9-lives who I've been after.

OP
J

jcoop7

FNG
So this buck ended up surviving the archery season but not before a couple more close calls. One morning I set up in the same area where the buck crossed over previously (see my last post) hoping he would cross over within range. I was hunkered down in some brush and as it got more and more light, I was losing hope that he would not come over. As I thought that, I looked behind me about 15 yds and I see BIG antlers cresting the ridge. I slowly got clipped in and tried to slowly turn towards him but he caught my movement and spooked away about 70 yds and then just stopped and looked back towards me. Another buck came into sight at 40 yds but I didn't want to take him. Had I felt comfortable at that range I would have let one fly, but 60 yds is my max. He slowly worked his way up the ridge and out of sight. I sat there and couldn't believe it!!!! I had this buck I've been going after for almost a month pretty much step right on top of me but couldn't get a shot. Frustrating to say the least. Went up a few more times but never ended up seeing him again. My brother saw him on the last day but couldn't get close enough. My first year of archery taught me alot of things, can't wait till next year with hopefully some newer gear that will allow me to make that 70 yd shot if needed.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yeah, that buck is quite a bit north of 180, hope to see some pics of him in a grip and grin!