New to Elk hunting can someone help me understand how a draw works?

Hey guys, so Im new to the world elk hunting and lived in the Midwest my whole life. I recently joined the sight in hopes of learning as much as I can about out west hunting before committing to my first trip hopefully next year. Ive never applied to draw a tag and Im a little unclear how that works. I understand I can travel to the mountains and buy a nonresident tag OTC but would I significantly increase my odds if I were to apply for a draw for a few years and then pursue a hunt? Im also 26 and archery hunting if that help weigh anyones advice. I honestly would appreciate any tips and pointers as this world is entirely new to me. Thank you!

CDS8034

FNG
The draw process is going to be a little different in each state. As stated above, get on the state game and fish website for whichever states you are interested in hunting and start reading up. Most of the states provide a fair amount of information regarding draws, draw odds, harvest statistics, hunting access, etc. Best of luck to you.

Wapiti1

WKR
Check out Randy Newberg's Youtube channel. He walks through how the draw works in every state and covers the various and annoying points systems.

Jeremy

Laramie

WKR
Starting at 26, you should be able to draw a great hunt by the time you are... 50 or 60. If you decide to settle for middle of the road type areas, might be able to draw in your 30s.

Bottom line is you are at the back of a very long line for premium limited quota areas.

Colorado otc tags are still available for at least the foreseeable future. Enjoy

I’ll give this a try.

Generally speaking most states have 2 types of licenses. For example Colorado has OTC ( over the counter) licenses but there are also hunting units where you need to draw a license to hunt. Most but not all states use a point system for that.

There is more than one type of point system. In a preference point system he who has the most points wins. There are units you maybe be able to draw with only a couple points, and some you will never have more than a fraction of a percent of a chance to draw. But someone has to draw so you never know.

In a bonus point system you can actually draw a license before a hunter who has more points than you. It has it’s pros and cons. The pro is you can actually draw the first year or two you apply. The con is no matter how many points you have you’re never guaranteed. It’s basically a random drawing but a guy who has 1 point gets entered once in that drawing and a guy with 7 points gets entered 7 times. They can still pick your app first.

There are a TON more things to learn about licensing but that’s about as short as it gets. You can look up past draw results and draw odds for units. You can learn about point creep. Lol

So research a few states, or ask online and decide which states you want to start buying points for. In the meantime if you just want to get started hunting which would be wise look into otc tags and get out there and get your feet wet. Have fun. Maybe you’ll kill an elk. Maybe you won’t. But at least you’ll get an education before you use those points. Good luck!

LostArra

WKR
I understand I can travel to the mountains and buy a nonresident tag OTC but would I significantly increase my odds if I were to apply for a draw for a few years and then pursue a hunt? Im also 26 and archery hunting if that help weigh anyones advice. I honestly would appreciate any tips and pointers as this world is entirely new to me. Thank you!
I don't think you (or anyone) will significantly increase your odds of killing your first elk by staying home for a few years regardless of the state or unit you plan to hunt. You learn nothing about yourself and actually hunting elk by staying at home. You tube videos and e-scouting are fine off-season entertainment but do not compare to being on the mountain. At 26 you need to be out there as much as possible. Sure, you can come up with some point/draw strategy but it is possible to hunt elk every year to really increase your odds if you do draw a special tag.