New To Bowhunting / Archery

wtrbrdm

Lil-Rokslider
Wanted to do a quick post for anyone new to this, as I am.....sorry to waste a thread for the seasoned veterans.

Having worked in the firearm "industry" and shooting for years, I wanted to get into bow hunting. I like to nerd out on crap and thought I could figure everything out on my own, so I researched a bit. Measured my DL and bought a used bow. Long story short....I should have gone to a shop.

So, I gave in and went to a shop the past few days, deciding I wanted to buy a newer bow to get good equipment to learn on. After more research, I thought I knew exactly what I wanted. Chatting with the tech for a while, he advised me to shoot a few different bows. I said I didn't want to be a pain and take up his time and he replied he didn't want me buying the wrong bow. Being new to this....what input and differences could I really feel? TONS. He set up a Matthews V3X 33, Hoyt Ventum Pro 33, and a Prime Inline 3. Amazing to feel the differences between the bows and one definitely felt more smooth and "just right" for me.

So....anyone looking to buy their first bow....check your ego, don't have any preconceived notions based on Ford / Chevy reviews online and have a shop set up a few bows. Especially as a new shooter, you'll feel the differences between the bows.

The Mathews V3X just drew and shot better for me. Walked out of the store with zero buyers remorse....

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-10 at 5.55.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-10 at 5.55.16 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
Same here, except I went to the shop first because my wife wanted to start too. Ended up with the V3X and she got the Elite Ember. It has been really fun sharing a hobby with her where we are both novices and learning together.

The archery shop is more accommodating than the gun shop on first visits. My theory is there are a lot of idiots walking into the gun shop, and a whole lot more stress due to laws. Archery is also a bit more complicated and requires a “high touch” transaction.

Honestly, a good shop is full of people who just enjoy archery, and want others to have the same experience.

The best thing for new archers is to find a good pro shop, however as a newbie that can be hard to evaluate.

Most shops will have more than one brand to offer, and should be happy to setup most anything they have within your approximate dimensions to try.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
For buying as someone new to archery a shop was well worth it. I also think it is good to learn how to do things for yourself.IIf you like to play with things, you will not annoy anyone by making several changes or offend them by trying something different then they recommended that way. They may well be correct, but sometimes it is nice to know from experience.

I ended up with a V3X 29 after shooting it, a V3, and a Hoyt Ventum. I used some 1.8 mm dyneema/polyester cord to make my own SAS, it works well for adjusting my peep and timing without a bow press. Much cheaper than Mathews $40, 27 inch peice of string. It also made for a better D-loop than the polyester BCY stuff. New England Ropes Spider Line in 1.8 mm wound be a great option and is about 1/3rd the cost of BCY D-loop material.