New to 6.5 PRC: Do I even need to see if my rifle likes ELD-M?

ChrisAU

WKR
So, I’m not a reloader, but I love unconventional calibers. A little backstory, I have a Cooper Model 92 280AI that I adore, but a week into the Alabama whitetail rifle season it had to take a trip to Montana for warranty work, the bolt just started decocking when cycling it, and it wasn’t one affected by the 2019 recall. I have a basic old Savage 270 that was my backup, but it left me longing for a “nice” rifle, and a more appropriate rifle for my 3.6-18 Mark 5HD.

Enter a new Christensen MPR in 6.5 PRC. Got it from Eurooptic in 2 days, found one box of 143 ELD-X locally, and went and shot it.

I am impressed.

This is the first 3 shots fired from that rifle at 100 yards after a rough sight in at 50 yards with 3 shots.

FjOwUGB.jpg

So, in the essence of preserving the super hard to find ammo for now I moved the scope 0.2MIL right and 0.2MIL down. Fired 2 shots at 200 after dialing up 0.3MIL and both nestled right beside each other perfectly about 3/4” low of POA, so probably will be 0.4MIL at 200. Not doing anything remotely long range any time soon, maybe 200 yards max in the next couple weeks on game.

Will be at the range with it this weekend and hope to shoot out to 400 to begin accumulating drop data.

Since that short time at the range I’ve accumulated a pile of 143 ELD-X, 3 boxes of ELD-M, and 4 boxes of 130 Nosler Accubond “hand loads” from Choice Ammunition.

Obviously early, but I’m a huge Nosler Accubond fan. But, if the rifle shoots 143 ELD-X that well, is it even worth trying anything else for anything other than sh*ts and giggles? And more importantly, is there anything the ELD-M offers on shots on game that the ELD-X doesn’t? Or, gasp, would I notice a difference between the ELD-X and Accubonds on deer and antelope?

I think you should send it back for a re-barrel, glass bedding, and possibly a trigger job. After that you should be good to go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All joking aside, I would see how your favorite hunting bullets perform on paper, and if you’re happy with it, go with ‘em.

You’re gonna read a lot of horror stories about ELD-X for the same reason you read a lot of horror stories about Leupold scopes. Gobs of people use them. For every complaint there are orders of magnitude more guys out there too busy tending the grill to be posting the success story. Among my family there are more dead animals than we can count, far into double digits with ELD-X bullets with zero failures or disappointment. Will it happen? Yes. Eventually all bullets will give an unsatisfactory result. Just the nature of sending them into heterogenous targets. It may be the very next ELD-X I send down the tube. Knowing my success rate with ELD-X and seeing how your rifle shoots them, if I were in your shoes I would hunt with that box of ammo for as long as I can make it last.

amassi

WKR
I say your good to go. The eld-x works great no need to track down eld-m. If you wanted another option I'd grab some 156 bergers from unknown munitions

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

EmperorMA

WKR
If your style is to shoot animals at long range (600 yards and over), try the 147 ELD-M.

If you prefer to hunt animals, I’d take the 143 ELD-X without hesitation. It’s more apt to hold up inside of 100 yards and will still do a great job out to as far as even most long range shooters are capable of making hits.

The 143 ELD-X and 142 ABLR are about as perfect of all-around hunting bullets as can be made in 6.5mm.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Anddd @Unknown Munitions had to email me tonight that 140AB loads were back in stock...100 on the way, I have issues ha. I’ve seen Accubonds on a few dozen whitetails (and two elk) now and I just trust them. If the rifle likes them they will be my load.

Last edited: