New strings

When should one change the strings on their bow? After a certain number of shots? Years? When they start to fray?

Bought a Hoyt Ventum 30 last May. I have shot it A LOT. Maybe not every night after work but at least 3-4 nights, and many many arrows a night, all the way until hunting season this past fall. Strings look to be in good shape. But I have heard factory strings aren’t the best (matter if opinion).

This year I’d like to do some fine tuning of my bow and hopefully get it shooting even better. Figure I’d start by changing the strings, if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holocene

WKR
Every 1-2 years depending on how much I shoot that bow or how much it gets beat up dragging through the Oregon coast. Abrasion from hunting wears my strings faster than shooting -- at least on the outside of the string.

I replace when either 1) the little fuzzies reappear once or twice a week despite waxing or 2) there's an obvious nick or damage in in string.

One way of stretching your dollar is to replace the string only and keep using cables. You could probably go through 2 strings for every set of cables.

nphunter

WKR
Bringing this to the top. I bought and RX4 new when the came out so about 4 years of heavy shooting. The strings are still OK but frayed a lot and I can tell the servings are worn on the cams and rollers slightly from shooting. I decided to serve the areas in the string that were fuzzing the most from me packing the bow but I think I’ll just replace the strings. When reserving wrote down all the specs just to check, draw weight is still 72.9lbs, it was 73 4 years ago when I set the bow up and tuned it and it’s possible it slightly changed while bare shaft tuning. Timing is still perfect after thousands of shots, tons of rain storms and dragging around through the brush. Peep has never even moved. I cleaned the cables and strings and they still actually look pretty darn good.

I’m very impressed the bow held its tune that long with factory strings. So much so that I’m going to pick up a cheap set of new Hoyt takeoffs on eBay to replace them.

LostArra

WKR
Not to be "that guy" but this topic would probably have a lot more activity on the regular Archery forum since replacing a string on a Traditional bow is simple and inexpensive.

nphunter

WKR
Not to be "that guy" but this topic would probably have a lot more activity on the regular Archery forum since replacing a string on a Traditional bow is simple and inexpensive.
LOL, I agree, I just went to look for it and realized it was in the traditional, I found it during a search and didn't realize it was in the Trad Forum.