New strings...bow is LOUD. Help!

OutdoorAg

WKR
Had a dry fire incident (yeah yeah, trust me, it will happen to everyone) and needed new strings and cables on my Halon 32. Luckily just that. Bow limbs and cams showed no problems.

Picked it up from the shop, brought it home and this bow is now SLAPPING loud. Way different than before. The sound it makes on the shot reminds me of a fat rubber band whacking a counter top.

What I've checked so far:

1) Every allen head bolt I can see. All tight.
2) Shot with everything off and back on bow (front stab, quiver, quiver mount). No change.
3) Getting clearance with vanes. No contact.

Where would you go next? Obvious answer is to head back to the shop and let them check timing.

Could there be anything caused by the dry fire that is now showing up in the way of noise?

Previous strings were factory Mathews Zebras, and I would rate the bow to be the typical post shot sound, as it had no other silencers on the strings. Just a nice shwoooo, then arrow thwack.

Now I'm getting one heck of a SLAP

Thoughts?

You using a limb driven rest? I've seen before where the arm smacked the shelf when fired and it made a slap sound. Might not hurt to have a bow shop look at it too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
An untuned bow is a loud bow. But a loud slap........I'd be looking at your string stop. Did you mark and measure everything before your dry fire? If so, you should be able to easily see if the cams and tuning are close.

OP
O

OutdoorAg

WKR
You using a limb driven rest? I've seen before where the arm smacked the shelf when fired and it made a slap sound. Might not hurt to have a bow shop look at it too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Not using a limb driver.

Def need to have shop look at timing

What specifically about string stop? @5MilesBack

OP
O

OutdoorAg

WKR
Does the new string have the speed nocks?

Some builders don't put them on. It makes a difference in the noise.
No add ons to the string. No speed nocks like the zebras had. Good catch. This def could be. It’s the biggest and only change. Beside new string

wapitibob

WKR
Speed nocks are used to get the string back into the cam tracks as soon as possible after releasing the string. Their absence may create some noise but most noise I've seen comes from string to string stop gap, or lack thereof.

OP
O

OutdoorAg

WKR
Out of spec, out of tune, something damaged from dry fire.
Thanks. I'll get it all checked out.

Any ideas what could be damaged if I don't see any damage, appears to be shooting well, just noisy?

Ucsdryder

WKR
Thanks. I'll get it all checked out.

Any ideas what could be damaged if I don't see any damage, appears to be shooting well, just noisy?
Did anybody check it after the dry fire? If not, good chance your warped a cam or both.

Don’t shoot it anymore!!! Get it to a shop.

OP
O

OutdoorAg

WKR
@Ucsdryder as far as I know, it was all checked. Thats what I asked for. They were aware it was a dry fired bow.

Going to have to take it back in next week I suppose.

Ucsdryder

WKR
@Ucsdryder as far as I know, it was all checked. Thats what I asked for. They were aware it was a dry fired bow.

Going to have to take it back in next week I suppose.
Then it has to be out of tune. Is the string touching the string stop? If not, that’s a possibility too. Take it to the shop and let them shoot it. If it’s as loud as you say they’ll know what to do with it. Let us know what you find out!

Dmann

FNG
You should go back to the shop, or at least call them and explain the situation.

BucksNBulls

Lil-Rokslider
You sure it's not slapping the string stop? Should just barley be touching it at brace.

Wrench

WKR
Take a picture of the cam. Most every bow has a baseline for timing that is identified by cam position.

rclouse79

WKR
I dry fired my old bow and took it to the shop. They put it on a draw board and said everything looked ok. My arrows still had the same point of impact, but it make a loud clicking noise every time I fired it. I became super conscious of how loud it was at the range when I heard other bows shoot next to me. I took it back and asked them to listen while I shot it. They said that definitely was not right, and under further inspection said I needed new cams. That fixed it for me.

sndmn11

WKR
Does the new string have the speed nocks?

Some builders don't put them on. It makes a difference in the noise.

An untuned bow is a loud bow. But a loud slap........I'd be looking at your string stop. Did you mark and measure everything before your dry fire? If so, you should be able to easily see if the cams and tuning are close.

These two things.