New Spotting Scope

frazierw

FNG
I will be in the market for a new spotting scope soon, and I am having trouble deciding. Weight isnt a concern, just want the best optical performance, especially when digiscoping. Deciding between the ATX/STX 95 or the Kowa 883/884, any others i should look at? anybody compared the 95 to the 883/884? I read the review on here between the Kowa and the Swarovski 85, but havent seen anything comparing the 95 to the Kowa. Thanks!

Daubsnu1

FNG
I suggest ordering a few and setting them side by side in real world conditions. I did that with Meopta, Swaro, Razor and a cheap Cabela's scope.

No surprise the Swaro was excellent. But the Meopta was better to my eyes. And big surprise, the Cabela's (re-branded Athlon) was better than the Razor.

But my biggest take away was that there was not much difference between the Meopta, Swaro, Razor and the Cabela's.

I was looking at antennas on top of a building 3 miles away. All four could make out the antennas. Yes, the Meopta and the Swaro were a tad bit better...but it was not a huge difference.

In the end I opted for the Cabela's / Athlon spotter for $342 on sale. Spending the remaining $$ on a new pack and tripod.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Both the Kowa and the Swarovski are amazing spotters, actually the 2 best out there, however, for digiscoping the Swarovski modular system is the best as that was one of the design reasons for the system. Please feel free to give a call to discuss this, 516-217-1000.

I will be in the market for a new spotting scope soon, and I am having trouble deciding. Weight isnt a concern, just want the best optical performance, especially when digiscoping. Deciding between the ATX/STX 95 or the Kowa 883/884, any others i should look at? anybody compared the 95 to the 883/884? I read the review on here between the Kowa and the Swarovski 85, but havent seen anything comparing the 95 to the Kowa. Thanks!

I have the Kowa 884. Really nice glass. Optical quality is every bit as good or better than any other spotter I've looked through (including Swaro and Vortex) Highly recommended.

WRO

WKR
I've used both and would vote for the ATX just based on the modular options. The 884 is a sweet scope, its just not as versatile.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Swaro module system is the greatest for digiscoping. If digiscoping is not in your future the Kowa is worth a serious look