New Rifle Shooter needing advice

Jstablum

FNG
Been a bow Hunter for a long time and decided to get into rifle hunting. Picked up a tikka t3x and I was looking for ammo recommendations. I’ve read that each barrel will shoot ammo differently, but was looking for some recommendations to get started. I will mainly be using for mule deer, but also looking to use for long range target shooting.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum and to rifle shooting. You made a great decision to start with the Tikka. You read correctly that each barrel will shoot different ammo differently, but with Tikka in a 6.5 Creed, you'll likely find that it'll give you very good accuracy with just about all of it.

OP
J

Jstablum

FNG
Welcome to the forum and to rifle shooting. You made a great decision to start with the Tikka. You read correctly that each barrel will shoot different ammo differently, but with Tikka in a 6.5 Creed, you'll likely find that it'll give you very good accuracy with just about all of it.

Thanks! I’m hoping I can find something that’s shoots well and is readily available. Any specific recommendations? Was looking and Hornady ELDX but wasn’t sure what else to try.

ELDX is a GREAT place to start. All indications are that it is very accurate and works well on game too. I don't shoot enough factory ammo to be able to steer you toward anything specifically. You are fortunate that with that gun in that chambering, it's hard to make a bad choice.

hiker270

WKR
Hornady 143 ELD-X, Federal has many good choices (my Tikka 6.5 cm shoots the 130 Terminal Ascent sub-moa). The Barnes 120 TTSX has been good for me also. The 6.5 cm seems to shoot about everything great. Buy a few different brands and give them a try.

UTJL

Lil-Rokslider
This was posted on another thread but here’s a Hornady podcast that can help you understand the accuracy limitations of your rifle and which ammo shoots the best. Most premium bullets will do a great job on deer within 300 yards. If you’re shooting farther than, you’ll need to do a bit more research when selecting a bullet.

That said every bullet out there has people who love and hate it.

Hornady Podcast

OP
J

Jstablum

FNG
This was posted on another thread but here’s a Hornady podcast that can help you understand the accuracy limitations of your rifle and which ammo shoots the best. Most premium bullets will do a great job on deer within 300 yards. If you’re shooting farther than, you’ll need to do a bit more research when selecting a bullet.

That said every bullet out there has people who love and hate it.

Hornady Podcast
Thanks! Will check out the podcast!

Toner44

FNG
Hornady ELD-X is usually been my starting point on almost all the rifles I load for. I’ve never had the factory stuff shoot bad in any rifle.

EVO6

Lil-Rokslider
I built a 6.5 not too long ago and started off with the ELD-X 143, and those pet loads all shot well. If you get some trigger time in and feel comfortable. You should try grouping at 300 yards and see what they do.

jfk69

Lil-Rokslider
Plenty of varieties of 6.5 Manbun available. Pick a few different boxes and give them all a try.

I own 2 Tikka T3x lites, neither of them are chambered in 6.5CM, rather 7mm-08 and 7RM. But, I do own 3 6.5CMs from Ruger and Christensen. Moreover they all like Hornady ELD-X. The 143gr is a great starting point in my opinion.