New pack suggestions

I currently have the EXO K3 1800 and 3200 packs and for the life of me can't get the frame to stop slipping on me so I am looking to get a new pack setup. I hunt mostly whitetail / hog here in Texas but do travel for hunts as well. I am currently looking at the Kifaru stryker XL with add ons but wanted to get some suggestions / input as well.

OP
J
I haven’t called them about the slipping, I did speak to them about sizing etc and got it dialed in but once it’s got a weight it just slides a lot. After reading a lot of comments about slippage but haven’t really seen anyone coming up with a way to stop it I just assumed to move on. I am not sure if the new K4 has addressed that or if it’s just the way it rides on my body etc…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Superdoo

WKR
I would suggest ordering frames from Kifaru, Stone Glacier, Seek Outside and Mystery Ranch. Then try them on and see what you and your body likes best. Return the ones that you don't like.
It's a lot of money upfront, but when it's done you'll be all set.

OP
J
I’ve definitely thought about doing that, might give that a go. They carry mystery Ranch and stone glacier at Scheels. I just need to find time to get over there and try them on.

Had a MR Metcalf, pack was fine but slipped on me with heavy weight. Tried and really liked an EXO and a Seek. Kept the Seek. The way the belt wraps my hips and removing the lumbar pad were key to getting a very good fit and no slipping.

OP
J
I don’t know much about Seek, will need to check them out. Thanks.

prm

WKR
I haven’t called them about the slipping, I did speak to them about sizing etc and got it dialed in but once it’s got a weight it just slides a lot. After reading a lot of comments about slippage but haven’t really seen anyone coming up with a way to stop it I just assumed to move on. I am not sure if the new K4 has addressed that or if it’s just the way it rides on my body etc…

I have no experience with EXO, but have been following along with the discussion of the forthcoming K4. They said specifically that reducing slipping was a goal of the K4.

I've had a Kifaru with a few different bags and they do work well. I have a MR Mule and find it slips a bit, at least more than a Kuiu with the same ~40# sand bag.

OP
J
I did not see that in the forum, I saw the new frame / hip belt but I am not sure what they did to address that issue. I will have to check into that.

JDB9818

WKR
Exo makes a firmer foam insert and shims for the pad that can help with the slippage. I didn't like the "stock" softer insert and purchased the firmer one. Definitely a different feel to the pack.

A call to Exo would probably answer that question. They are great guys to deal with and I'm looking forward to the new K4.

I've had Kifaru and SG in the past. If I wasn't able to get the Exo to work I'd probably go back to the SG.

OP
J
I will reach out to them next week. I’m just not a fan of the SG bag layouts for some reason.

I agree on the SG bags. I liked the K3 4800 bag layout a lot but like you couldn’t get the K3 to stop slipping so I went with an SG xcurve. I have never experienced any slipping with that frame.

Taudisio

WKR
I’m on the lookout for a new pack as well. I’m going to start down the kifaru trail on my partners recommendation. The exo was right there in my considerations.

ljalberta

WKR
As other have mentioned. The frame that fits your body is going to be the best pack for you. I’ve had great fit with both Kifaru and SG, and really like things about both companies and packs.

That being said, in terms of longer trips where shedding some pounds is important, I have been super, super impressed with the SG Terminus series.

Marble

WKR
I'm not sure what the OP means by a slipping pack. Seems like it could be a lot of different things.

The thing that helped me get my pack to fit correctly was watching Snyders YouTube video on how to properly adjust a pack, then the order to tighten things down.

Might give that a try.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

croben

Lil-Rokslider
Exo makes a firmer foam insert and shims for the pad that can help with the slippage. I didn't like the "stock" softer insert and purchased the firmer one. Definitely a different feel to the pack.

A call to Exo would probably answer that question. They are great guys to deal with and I'm looking forward to the new K4.

I've had Kifaru and SG in the past. If I wasn't able to get the Exo to work I'd probably go back to the SG.
I had the same issue with my K3 slipping anytime I put weight in it. I tried the stiffer lumbar pad insert, but it didn’t help. I love the pack, but the frame doesn’t work for me. I’ve made the switch to Kifaru and have been really happy.

OP
J
I had the same issue with my K3 slipping anytime I put weight in it. I tried the stiffer lumbar pad insert, but it didn’t help. I love the pack, but the frame doesn’t work for me. I’ve made the switch to Kifaru and have been really happy.

What frame did you get?