New mexico

Gila

WKR
We probably won’t even draw but I am having a good time pretending we will. If we do, I don’t have the problem of enough time to do homework, I don’t have time for any of my other responsibilities! Hahaha being a rookie western hunter and really never even being out west, I learned that e scouting is all well and fine, but a. It don’t look like it does on google, onX when you get there. Areas that I had marked as open glassing areas were oak brush so thick I didn’t know if I was gonna make it out of it! Hahahaha. I am a very confident, successful whitetail hunter in multiple states, I was so overwhelmed, I felt like the worst hunter ever. 2nd year got better though.
You just never know....you have just as good of odds as anyone else. Residents get more tags but the premium hunts in high demand are very diffiult to draw. Last year I drew the best public elk tag in New Mexico. The opportunities for elk increase every year. They also open units to elk that have not been open before. I have come to appreciate e-scouting for units I have not hunted before. I pour alot of fuel into my UTV. I can't see beating the crap outta 75k truck. Good boots and good glass will get you far...

OP
Bhanes

Bhanes

FNG
You just never know....you have just as good of odds as anyone else. Residents get more tags but the premium hunts in high demand are very diffiult to draw. Last year I drew the best public elk tag in New Mexico. The opportunities for elk increase every year. They also open units to elk that have not been open before. I have come to appreciate e-scouting for units I have not hunted before. I pour alot of fuel into my UTV. I can't see beating the crap outta 75k truck. Good boots and good glass will get you far...
Ok, I’ve been wanting to ask a veterans opinion on this. I’m sure you have seen a huge influx in out of state hunters thanks to the likes of cam Hanes, joe Rogan, uncle Randy, born and raised, hush, meat eater, the list goes on thanks to social media platforms. Do you think it will plateau, or has it plateaued, and do you think it will ever decline as I’m sure a lot of guys see how “easy” the names above make it look but when you actually get there they realize it is no joke! I honestly thought I was gonna be the next elk hunting guru! Boy o boy was I wrong! And I take a lot of pride in my hunting abilities and busted my ass for nothing more than experience, I did miss a good bull my 2nd year. It was 100% my fault and can’t blame anything!

Gila

WKR
As far as the TV shows are concerned, they come and go. I like the entertainment. The same thing with guides and outfitters. New Mexico is one of those states where hunt quality is more important than hunting opportunity. We just don't have as many tags, so the number of hunters in the field doesn't change that much over the years. I like to see more people get into hunting as the money goes back into managing the resource. I think social media has done more to promote hunting and sport fishing than any other media.

Once you hunt elk, you are hooked. There is no cure. Your only fix is to get another tag.

OP
Bhanes

Bhanes

FNG
As far as the TV shows are concerned, they come and go. I like the entertainment. The same thing with guides and outfitters. New Mexico is one of those states where hunt quality is more important than hunting opportunity. We just don't have as many tags, so the number of hunters in the field doesn't change that much over the years. I like to see more people get into hunting as the money goes back into managing the resource. I think social media has done more to promote hunting and sport fishing than any other media.

Once you hunt elk, you are hooked. There is no cure. Your only fix is to get another tag.
I would be willing to bet a lot of people, especially people who aren’t from or live near “elk country” give up without ever killing one. I’m talking diy obviously.

Thomas11

WKR
I would be willing to bet a lot of people, especially people who aren’t from or live near “elk country” give up without ever killing one. I’m talking diy obviously.
I’m about as far from elk country as u can get in Alabama and I was hooked the first yr I went and haven’t missed an elk season since. Heck I do multiple states now in same yr. and I was unsuccessful for several yrs

OP
Bhanes

Bhanes

FNG
I’m about as far from elk country as u can get in Alabama and I was hooked the first yr I went and haven’t missed an elk season since. Heck I do multiple states now in same yr. and I was unsuccessful for several yrs
We sound a lot alike.

There is no such thing as secret honey holes, ridges, drainages, creek bottoms, meadows, etc. I guarantee you that thousands of people already know about that spot. The trick is to draw the tag and be in there first. My favorite place to hunt is northern NM. I’m lucky to draw a tag every 4-5 years as a resident. My last tag was 2017 so I’m due this year. Lol

Gila

WKR
There is no such thing as secret honey holes, ridges, drainages, creek bottoms, meadows, etc. I guarantee you that thousands of people already know about that spot. The trick is to draw the tag and be in there first. My favorite place to hunt is northern NM. I’m lucky to draw a tag every 4-5 years as a resident. My last tag was 2017 so I’m due this year. Lol
I won't be hunting where you are....or the other thousands. I tell newbies that if they hunt places that they heard about, that you are likely to get skunked, even within the famous units. You won't be shooting a big bull in an area that has been pounded. If I run into other people when scouting, I move on. I won't be telling anyone where I hunt...you can bet on that. Unless a person has a first archery tag, you are not going to be the first. The elk get pushed further in every day they are hunted. I am kinda surprised you have not been drawn as there some really good units up there that have some rather decent odds. There are some WMAs for res hunters only that have some good odds as well. Good luck!

I never said I would tell someone where I was hunting. Lol my point is that it’s funny how upset some people get when they find someone in “their spot” . Where ever you hunt, I’ll bet someone has already been there before you at some point and someone will be there after you.

I know all about the WMA’s. I could draw a tag every year in my favorite unit back in the 80’s to mid 90’s. Not anymore. I haven’t had a deer tag in NM for 20 years! That’s a whole other beast though.

Reactions: ZDR

Gila

WKR
I never said I would tell someone where I was hunting. Lol my point is that it’s funny how upset some people get when they find someone in “their spot” . Where ever you hunt, I’ll bet someone has already been there before you at some point and someone will be there after you.

I know all about the WMA’s. I could draw a tag every year in my favorite unit back in the 80’s to mid 90’s. Not anymore. I haven’t had a deer tag in NM for 20 years! That’s a whole other beast though.
What most people have problems with is two fold. One is identifying the units for the draw. This issue is more important to non-residents. Conditions change. Fires, logging, water, and in the Southern units, military activity, all factor into making a choice. Odds to draw also change with success rate history. Regulations, a change in the seasons or number of tags, etc. all factor in.

The other issue is areas within units. There are some places that you can pattern the elk herds and that pattern doesn't change much year in and year out. Up North the elk do migrate. Down here they don't migrate but they will move between areas with a change in seasons. It takes alot of time in the field to figure these things out. I have seen where people post on the forum where these areas are. Some of those posts are red herrings. Other posts are because people are just trying to pump up their own ego. Either way it isn't ethical or fair to others.

I hunt elk near where I live. I go after bulls, but will settle for a cow tag. My choices don't change much. I know the terrain well and know of some great areas to hunt. But I am always looking for better places. I spend quite a bit of time and money scouting. That is the only way to get a wall hanger. I have never hunted as a non-resident. If I ever do, you can bet that I will be very tight lipped about the info I have paid dearly to acquire.

Yep, exactly. I don’t tell people exactly where I hunt either. I also don’t get upset when someone else is there because I know it’s public land and there are many hunters that know that spot as well. Sometimes it’s because they have hunted there 10 years ago and finally drew a tag again. I may have scouted and “found” that spot only 5 years ago. So, should I be upset because someone else is there?

I don’t believe in telling gps coordinates across the Internet either. People need to do their due diligence and put the work in. Just make sure you have multiple places to hunt incase you get skunked by someone else.

Gila

WKR
Yep, exactly. I don’t tell people exactly where I hunt either. I also don’t get upset when someone else is there because I know it’s public land and there are many hunters that know that spot as well. Sometimes it’s because they have hunted there 10 years ago and finally drew a tag again. I may have scouted and “found” that spot only 5 years ago. So, should I be upset because someone else is there?

I don’t believe in telling gps coordinates across the Internet either. People need to do their due diligence and put the work in. Just make sure you have multiple places to hunt incase you get skunked by someone else.
I don't recall ever seeing anything about people being upset that someone got to their hunting spot first. What trips my trigger is when I am there at first light and someone comes stomping through. I get up at 4:00am to get to where I need to be.

Just moved down to NM from the PNW. Excited for this coming season. For me, half the fun is spending the off-season scouting and camping with the fam in whatever unit I draw. WA is the same as everywhere else when it comes to secrecy, but tbh I've found that in most states, the harder you have to work the better your odds get. Most hunters won't venture more than a mile or 2 from their truck.

chama350

FNG
some good points in this thread so far. Its getting closer to draw time, good luck everyone. sending good thoughts and vibes out there..... Getting excited and anxious as well

Gila

WKR
Good luck to all! Get in the draw by the 10th and get the perks in the incentive program.

Blackdirt Cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck to all! Get in the draw by the 10th and get the perks in the incentive program.
What’s this incentive program you speak of? I usually wait until the last day of the application period to apply to save interest charges on my card.