New mexico

Bhanes

FNG
My buddy and I just applied for New Mexico for the first time! We are in the shallow end of the pool (nonresident), but hoping to make a splash (sorry, I had to🤣🤣🤣), we are going for a rifle tag either oct23-27 or an earlier rifle season oct 9-13. I think our best chances according to gohunt are around 25%. Just curious what type of weather is typical that time of year. Are rattlesnakes of any concern at that time? We put in for units in north central nm.

What areas specifically are you referring to? Our weather is all over the map. It could be 70-80 degrees in the Gila, and 30-40 or less in the Sangre De Cristo’s

TX_Diver

WKR
Please don't post the units. I could take a guess to the units based on the dates, draw odds, and general area you listed. PM trophyhill or others who are interested in helping.

Never seen snakes in that area but I'm sure they are there.

OP
Bhanes

Bhanes

FNG
Please don't post the units. I could take a guess to the units based on the dates, draw odds, and general area you listed. PM trophyhill or others who are interested in helping.

Never seen snakes in that
My buddy and I just applied for New Mexico for the first time! We are in the shallow end of the pool (nonresident), but hoping to make a splash (sorry, I had to🤣🤣🤣), we are going for a rifle tag either oct23-27 or an earlier rifle season oct 9-13. I think our best chances according to gohunt are around 25%. Just curious what type of weather is typical that time of year. Are rattlesnakes of any concern at that time? We put in for units in north central nm.
North central, Colorado border
What areas specifically are you referring to? Our weather is all over the map. It could be 70-80 degrees in the Gila, and 30-40 or less in the Sangre De Cristo’s
North central, Colorado border. I don’t want to piss anyone off by throwing out the unit #’s. I don’t have enough posts to pm because I’m new to the forum. I figured weather was all over the place. I just didn’t know how much of a swing it was. I have hunted Colorado otc twice In archery season. It was usually sunny and fairly warm during the day and close to freezing at night. We did get 1 pretty wild storm!

It's best to say "be prepared for anything and everything". I have hunted that general area every year for 31 years. It has gone from t-shirt hunting one day, to a front coming in bringing rain, rain, and more rain. Then approximately 1/3 of the times I hunted I encountered fresh snow. Only once do I remember snow being on the ground when I arrived a day or two before the season (my 5 day split), and snow stayed on the ground the whole 5 days. My reply probably doesn't help you much, but really, you have to be prepared for it all, heat, rain, snow, gumbo mud after the snow melts, etc.

OP
Bhanes

Bhanes

FNG
It's best to say "be prepared for anything and everything". I have hunted that general area every year for 31 years. It has gone from t-shirt hunting one day, to a front coming in bringing rain, rain, and more rain. Then approximately 1/3 of the times I hunted I encountered fresh snow. Only once do I remember snow being on the ground when I arrived a day or two before the season (my 5 day split), and snow stayed on the ground the whole 5 days. My reply probably doesn't help you much, but really, you have to be prepared for it all, heat, rain, snow, gumbo mud after the snow melts, etc.
No it does. Now what would u recommend as far as optics?

North central, Colorado border

North central, Colorado border. I don’t want to piss anyone off by throwing out the unit #’s. I don’t have enough posts to pm because I’m new to the forum. I figured weather was all over the place. I just didn’t know how much of a swing it was. I have hunted Colorado otc twice In archery season. It was usually sunny and fairly warm during the day and close to freezing at night. We did get 1 pretty wild storm!
I wouldn’t worry about it too much as far as pissing anyone off. So I’ll play along. I am working in south central CO and stay at an RV park not too far from the train station on the border. Last October the weather was beautiful and the aspens? oh my what a gorgeous sight! Although I will tell you it snowed in September over 18” to 2’ in some places. It also snowed a bit in October. And was in the 20’s and 30’s at night. All the pressure in the unit I was hunting in south central Colorado in September, undoubtedly pushed elk into that secret north central unit you are talking about and I heard the hunting was really good in there last year. Oh by the way? There are no secret spots in that unit so just get your scouting done and be the first one in ;)

OP
Bhanes

Bhanes

FNG
I wouldn’t worry about it too much as far as pissing anyone off. So I’ll play along. I am working in south central CO and stay at an RV park not too far from the train station on the border. Last October the weather was beautiful and the aspens? oh my what a gorgeous sight! Although I will tell you it snowed in September over 18” to 2’ in some places. It also snowed a bit in October. And was in the 20’s and 30’s at night. All the pressure in the unit I was hunting in south central Colorado in September, undoubtedly pushed elk into that secret north central unit you are talking about and I heard the hunting was really good in there last year. Oh by the way? There are no secret spots in that unit so just get your scouting done and be the first one in ;)
I am just new to the forum and not sure of protocol. So I figured I would play it safe, some of these forums are like shark waters. Mf’ers just scrolling looking for someone to pounce on! I don’t care if everyone knows the units because there’s 3 of them, and everyone with a tag will be there regardless of who it is. I understand that it don’t matter.

Bigboone1988

Lil-Rokslider
We hunted North Central NM during second rifle this past season(Oct 23-28). First 4 days weather was warm, high in the 60s-70s with lows in the lower to upper 30s. Last 3 days we had highs in the teens to low 20s and single digits at night. We had a major front roll through and dump 18-20 inches of snow. Be ready for anything is my advice.

OP
Bhanes

Bhanes

FNG
We hunted North Central NM during second rifle this past season(Oct 23-28). First 4 days weather was warm, high in the 60s-70s with lows in the lower to upper 30s. Last 3 days we had highs in the teens to low 20s and single digits at night. We had a major front roll through and dump 18-20 inches of snow. Be ready for anything is my advice.
Well that is the definition of be prepared for anything!!! Jeezouie! How did you make out?

I am just new to the forum and not sure of protocol. So I figured I would play it safe, some of these forums are like shark waters. Mf’ers just scrolling looking for someone to pounce on! I don’t care if everyone knows the units because there’s 3 of them, and everyone with a tag will be there regardless of who it is. I understand that it don’t matter.
10-4 on the sharks infested waters lol. I don’t here them bashing Go Hunt or Top Rut and the other 10 sites that these same guys are paying for that’s for sure. The way I see it? Why pay if I can get it for free? These guys that complain and use the pay sites don’t like the way I get my information. I work for it and don’t use those pay sites that those clowns who want instant gratification use ;)

I ended up killing a 4X4 on the last evening (Oct 28). We could see them coming over the mountain, they just weren't moving fast enough to get down to the blind where I was hunting before legal shooting time ended. The storm and heavy snow two days earlier Bigboone1988 referenced in reply #9 really got them moving.

OP
Bhanes

Bhanes

FNG
10-4 on the sharks infested waters lol. I don’t here them bashing Go Hunt or Top Rut and the other 10 sites that these same guys are paying for that’s for sure. The way I see it? Why pay if I can get it for free? These guys that complain and use the pay sites don’t like the way I get my information. I work for it and don’t use those pay sites that those clowns who want instant gratification use ;)
Can’t argue that logic.

OP
Bhanes

Bhanes

FNG
I ended up killing a 4X4 on the last evening (Oct 28). We could see them coming over the mountain, they just weren't moving fast enough to get down to the blind where I was hunting before legal shooting time ended. The storm and heavy snow two days earlier Bigboone1988 referenced in reply #9 really got them moving.
Nice, congrats

RyanCmns

WKR

Unit # is no big deal the issue I have is when specific ridges or canyons are named! I’m all about helping newbs but make them work on their own some the hunt will be way more gratifying and my problem with canyons and ridges is due to google anytime someone googles nm unit x and that thread populates good way to ruin a spot or area not trying to be a assxxle work for a few spots then I’m sure you will see my point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gila

WKR
The nights can get cold....teens and 20s. In the Gila last season it was twenty some degrees a couple of nights....wall tent and wood stove is my preference. I use hand warmers. In the middle of Oct. first and last light is prime time. I use a 50mm bell and illuminated reticle. Good number of elk herds up there but you have to get in to find them. The 25% who score put boots on the ground and do their homework. If lady luck throws her smiles to you, should be a good hunt. Good luck!

I step on buzztails down here below 8k in Sept. I don't worry about it in Oct

Last edited:
OP
Bhanes

Bhanes

FNG
Unit # is no big deal the issue I have is when specific ridges or canyons are named! I’m all about helping newbs but make them work on their own some the hunt will be way more gratifying and my problem with canyons and ridges is due to google anytime someone googles nm unit x and that thread populates good way to ruin a spot or area not trying to be a assxxle work for a few spots then I’m sure you will see my point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I understand your point. If people follow me around to my elk hunting destinations, they are not very smart!! Hahahaha

OP
Bhanes

Bhanes

FNG
The nights can get cold....teens and 20s. In the Gila last season it was twenty some degrees a couple of nights....wall tent and wood stove is my preference. I use hand warmers. In the middle of Oct. first and last light is prime time. I use a 50mm bell and illuminated reticle. Good number of elk herds up there but you have to get in to find them. The 25% who score put boots on the ground and do their homework. If lady luck throws her smiles to you, should be a good hunt. Good luck!

I step on buzztails down here below 8k in Sept. I don't worry about it

I step on buzztails down here below 8k in Sept. I don't worry about it in Oct
We probably won’t even draw but I am having a good time pretending we will. If we do, I don’t have the problem of enough time to do homework, I don’t have time for any of my other responsibilities! Hahaha being a rookie western hunter and really never even being out west, I learned that e scouting is all well and fine, but a. It don’t look like it does on google, onX when you get there. Areas that I had marked as open glassing areas were oak brush so thick I didn’t know if I was gonna make it out of it! Hahahaha. I am a very confident, successful whitetail hunter in multiple states, I was so overwhelmed, I felt like the worst hunter ever. 2nd year got better though.