New Mexico Unit 46 Elk Hunt

JJ1179

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking into planning an archery elk and deer hunt in New Mexico Unit 46 in 2023. I know there was a fire in that unit this year. Did anybody hunt unit 46 this year, and if so, what are your thoughts? Almost the whole unit is private property, which requires you to purchase a land owner tag to hunt the unit. Any info or tips would be appreciated.

Soo...I know you are looking for someone that hunted 46 last year. I did not, but I live nearby and have done a bit of e-scouting in that unit. Last week I drove through the heart of GMU46 on Hwy 518 just to see first hand the extent of the fires.

The western 1/2 of the 46 got burned pretty badly in the heavily forested hillsides away from the main roads and villages. The burns extend pretty far into GMU 45, so it probably won't be the case that animals are coming from nearby cover into the unit along the western side. That said, when the new satellite photos from Google Earth come out you'll get a chance to see where pockets of non-burn could hold elk. My guess is that these areas will be limited along the western 1/3 of 46.

The northern and NE parts of the unit are unburned (mostly). Like most other places in 46 you'll just need to deal with the LO's that lure newbie's into less than ideal situations. There's plenty of elk to be sure from what I've read, but please read the many hunter reviews not found on outfitter websites for perspective.

PM me if you want a rough outline of the burn areas in .kmz format.

Also...let us know what you've learned since you first posted and your current plans.

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
I took a look at onX and agree with the above. A good part of the elk country was hit hard by the burn. I'd love to get in there and hunt the fringes of it with all the new growth that will hit this year.

Are you getting a UW or RO only tag? Fully guided or diy private land?

I've not heard of the issue of land owners luring people in that are but it happens plenty often in Texas so I'd say it's like anything you're being sold, buyer beware.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk