New Member new to Turkey Hunting too

I am new and joined to help advance my knowledge on a few areas and learn from you good folks. I decided to start Turkey hunting this year. I am a long time outdoorsman who has alway focused more on fishing and have never hunted. I am a "gun guy", so no shortage on things that go bang around the house and I have collected at least one of about everything needed to hunt anything the East side of the Mississippi. As "things" change around us I have committed to expanding my knowledge and skills to include learning how to hunt and prepare game. I live on 23 acres, with a good amount of deer and turkey- except this year my turkey seem to have gone into hiding. My wife must have warned them I was out for them- LOL. Or, maybe it is the fox family with five babies who have burrowed under one of my out buildings?

Here is my turkey gun set up with 12 Gauge #9 TSS at 50 yards- Carlson's TSS choke. I am very happy with the set up, and applaud Mossberg for the RMR cutout. It is still a clunky/plasticy Mossberg, but that is what I expected and enjoy for what it is.

Well, thanks for letting me join the group. I won't be the most vocal, because I try not to post unless I have first-hand experience and can add value- which on many of the subjects here I am a newb.
Mossberg 50 yards TSS.jpg

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new member.

Eddie

dtrkyman

WKR
Love the cut out in the receiver on that gun for the dot! Wonder if I could find a machinist to cut mine out?

Welcome.

OP
Mayfly-1970
Love the cut out in the receiver on that gun for the dot! Wonder if I could find a machinist to cut mine out?

Welcome.
I had it done to my Glock 19x before the MOS came out. I have heard of shotguns being done as well.

hobbes

WKR
I don't think you'll find many folks cutting out the receiver. I don't think they'll have sufficient metal to be cutting out, especially considering their profile. There is typically just enough steel to drill and tap and place a mount plus sight. The mount will be machined to match the profile of the top of the receiver then flat on top for the sight.

That Mossberg is machined that way to have a flat surface for mounting the sight directly to it.

dtrkyman

WKR
I agree, but will inquire, that is the way to rig a reflex! I would go speed bead but none available for my gun!