New in AZ

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new AZ member.

Eddie

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Welcome. Where abouts you at in AZ?

I started hunting a few years ago too. It’s an adventure.

OP
M
I grew up in Ohio bow hunting, which was mostly tree stands close to home and didn’t require a whole lot of skill.

My plan is rifle in AZ. I’ve heard some churches have noob classes and know some people, that I’m not really close with that hunt. I don’t want to feel like I’m imposing or bothering them.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I grew up in Ohio bow hunting, which was mostly tree stands close to home and didn’t require a whole lot of skill.

My plan is rifle in AZ. I’ve heard some churches have noob classes and know some people, that I’m not really close with that hunt. I don’t want to feel like I’m imposing or bothering them.
Ask them, worse they can say is no... Also, ask to tag along and be the camp gofer for hunts. Its not unusual to have a crew on a hill glassing. I've probably learned more on other guys hunts than my own. Be useful to them, and you can get another invite.

If you draw a tag, post up looking for help, and there are people who will respond here and facebook. There is a forum coueswhitetail that has good AZ intel, but it isn't as good as Rokslide.

OP
M
Ask them, worse they can say is no... Also, ask to tag along and be the camp gofer for hunts. Its not unusual to have a crew on a hill glassing. I've probably learned more on other guys hunts than my own. Be useful to them, and you can get another invite.

If you draw a tag, post up looking for help, and there are people who will respond here and facebook. There is a forum coueswhitetail that has good AZ intel, but it isn't as good as Rokslide.
That’s my plan. I’d like to learn the prep/scouting here.
I’ve had my bird stamp for the last several years. I probably should have been banking points that time too.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yeah, buy points even if you aren't going to hunt. I bought points for bison and then drew a cow tag with 9 points after a few years.

And, do the AZ Hunter Ed before you apply for the first time cause it gives you a permanent additional bonus point for any hunt you put int. Its hard to find the outdoor training, but it might have changed since Covid.

Also, after buying points for a species for 5 years you get an additional loyalty bonus point.

OP
M
if I I already have a rifle, what gear should I start looking for? Binoculars 1st?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yes, 100%. You can’t kill what you can’t see. Much of AZ deer and elk hunting requires getting high and glassing mountainsides, canyons and fingers.

I would suggest spending money to get the best optical quality glass you can afford in the 10x or 12x. You want a pair you can handhold and good field of view.

If you want to combine and put your rangefinder money into binos, I like the Sig BDX models with Bluetooth and Applied Ballistics or the Vortex Fury with AB. They are suitable glass, which is enough to get started. You can find them used at about $700 and $1000 respectively.

After that, you can get a pair of used 15 or 18x binos, best you can afford used. Then sell and upgrade as you can.

I never buy new. Save money on barely used models. You can then sell them for what you paid and then put it with savings for a better pair every year.

PM your cell if you want to tag along to a range trip we can shoot together and you can see my set up.