New guy from Maui, HI

rgooddude

FNG
Hey all,

I just joined the forum. I am new to hunting and new to Maui (moved here a month ago).

I bought a bow and started shooting with my friend / coworker (who grew up bowhunting whitetail in MN) over the last couple years to get ready but have yet to be on my first bowhunt.

Currently waiting for my license and trying to get a feeling for where to go / who to talk to. I'm hoping to hunt Axis deer, pig and maybe some of the feral goats.

Open to any resources / recommendations (gear etc) for a new hunter.

Thanks!

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new member.

Eddie

Welcome man, I'm over on Oahu. Not sure how useful it will be to Maui hunting, but I have a thread in General about my efforts to start hunting here and there's a great thread with lots of good info about DIY Axis Hunts in the Archery forum as well.

OP
R

rgooddude

FNG
Welcome man, I'm over on Oahu. Not sure how useful it will be to Maui hunting, but I have a thread in General about my efforts to start hunting here and there's a great thread with lots of good info about DIY Axis Hunts in the Archery forum as well.
Awesome, thanks dude. I'll have to check those out!

jbosk15808

Lil-Rokslider
Hey man welcome, I from Maui but live on Oahu. Not sure if you had a chance to explore in the month you have been here but theres a pro shop in Maui Mall thats pretty helpful and well stocked for archery.

Welcome! Do they just call a ham and pineapple pizza "pizza" there? :)
I can confirm that they actually call it the 'Makawao' in the town of Makawao. There is an Italian place there called Casanovas that a local friend brought me too when I went to visit during late 2020. Wood fired pizza using pineapples from the Maui Gold Pineapple farm. Best pizza I've ever had!

As for hunting, I've never thought about doing a DIY hunt but my friends place is adjacent to some property that sees an abundance of Axis deer. It's around the Kula area if I'm not mistaken. Def. want to fish there the next time I visit!