New from Oklahoma

I have been following for a while but finally made an account. I've only been on one out of state elk hunt in Colorado, but am curious if any people on here from Oklahoma have ideas for backcountry style hunts either in Oklahoma or close by in neighboring states.

Welcome from a fellow Okie (Piedmont). I hunt whitetails on family land in Missouri every year and elk in Colorado most years but haven't made much effort yet to find hunting opportunities in Oklahoma. The Ouachita National Forest on the Oklahoma-Arkansas border would have potential for a backcountry style hunt for whitetail or black bear. You could also look into Oklahoma's draw hunts like elk in the Wichita Mountains and whitetail at McAlester Army Ammunition Plant.

Dvidos

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome
BB.jpg

g.png

Welcome from the very SE corner of Oklahoma. I could see a guy doing some backcountry hunting on some of the public land down here. I'm actually on a lease (Weyerhaeuser land) and we have some national forest that butts up near us. I actually trail ride and hunt it some.

OP
M
I guess that southeast area is somewhere I need to start exploring a little bit. I am just not real familiar with that area but have recently started researching the National forest areas. Didn’t even realize there were a couple wilderness areas in those mountains. I’ve put in for the Wichita mountains tags but those are a long shot every year obviously. Wish more WMAs allowed backcountry camping rather than designated areas.

2F84D716-5B65-4578-B0DC-119E23C29771.jpeg56892241-7960-471D-8DD9-412A0D9F8C4F.jpegMy fiancé is from Oklahoma. She’s killed big whitetail and an elk there. There’s also mule deer, antelope and bear. The eastern border with Arkansas has some mountains for public bear hunts.

Tcole75

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a little late to the party but in the southwest corner there is sandy sanders. There's mule deer, whitetail, pigs, and ive heard auodad are there. I've heard rumors that there are elk there now but not aloud to hunt them.

OP
M
I'm a little late to the party but in the southwest corner there is sandy sanders. There's mule deer, whitetail, pigs, and ive heard auodad are there. I've heard rumors that there are elk there now but not aloud to hunt them.
Never heard of it, but I've looked at now and will definitely be headed there at some point. Thanks for the heads up!