New CZ Over/Unders very stiff and difficult to open (almost impossible to close!)

hawkman71

Lil-Rokslider
We had our annual Oyster Roast & 10-Gun Raffle last night at our small, Christian school in eastern NC. It's a great event with all-you-can-eat wood-fired oysters along with shrimp, chicken, ice tea, desserts, drinks, etc. We always put up five shotguns and five rifles with a $100 ticket getting you in the door for food and the raffle. A winning ticket goes back in the drum, so technicially, one tickets could win all the guns - just don't hold your breath!

The ten guns average around $1000+ in price. We tend to reach up for a few nicer guns and then balance that with some sub-$1k guns. At last night's event, we had a Browning Maxus II in Vintage Tan Camo, a Beretta A400 Xtreme Plus, and a Christensen Arms Mesa as our top guns. We also had two CZ over/under shotguns - a Drake and a Magnum Reaper - the camo 12-ga turkey gun. I was talking with our FFL who brings the firearms to the event and brings them back to his shop afterward - and got to handle most of the guns. I had the Reaper in hand and was surprised how much strength it took to break and open the gun. I was more surprised at the forece required to close it, and stunned when it stopped shy of closing altogether. I had to shift hand positions to do it! All the guns in the room were surprised. The Drake was a little less stiff but still stiff. Unless you really gave it to her, the gun would stop short of being closed. Very disappointing for some nice guns!

Are you surprised? Have you experienced the same? Does it vary gun to gun? These were purchased through the FFL's supplier, we did not buy them ourselves at any retail outlet.

Antares

WKR
I wouldn't be surprised by that from a brand new, unfired gun. Grease it, work it (open and close it a bunch), and shoot a few cases of shells. I bet it loosens up.

If they start out loose, they get REALLY loose by the time they break in. You want that nice tight lock up.

If I recall correctly, my Redhead Deluxe (20 ga) was pretty stiff when I first got it. It's fine now.

Macintosh

WKR
relatively inexpensive guns are less$ specifically because the parts arent machined to as-close tolerances, and the mating surfaces arent polished quite as smooth. This may be a bit excessive, but they design those to be tight rather than loose so you get more lifespan out of them before they loosen up. The lesser polishing means that the rougher surfaces wear faster, so they will "break in" much faster than a more $$$$ gun becasue they are bearing only on the high-points which means there is less surface area in contact. Also, opening the gun is cocking it, so you are working agsint the spring tension, the cocking arms may be a bit rough as well, which should also break-in to a degree.

ChrisAU

WKR
I bought a Drake 20ga a few weeks ago and thought the same thing. Did a quail hunt week before last and after a couple boxes she is smoothing out. As said, I would rather it start tight.