New Bow setup for a 16yo

Afhunter1

WKR
132ABBA5-E41F-4B68-9322-A81AB77BFFC5.jpeg

My local dealer sells Hoyt and Bear bows. I will be taking my son elk hunting this fall and would like to get him an “adult” bow. He is now shooting one of those short grow with me type bear bows and has killed two does with it but it def leaves some performance on the table. I have shot trad for the last 25 years so I am out of the loop. What I think that I’d like though are listed below. I am not loaded so I’m trying to do this while also keeping an eye on economy but I want it to last him a while as well.

I will be putting on some kind of whisker biscuit rest and I want a 5 pin fixed sight but I don’t know what pin size or color layout to get. I think I will also buy him a two piece quiver of some kind and a short stabilizer but no offset stuff. I will let my dealer setup my arrows to what the bow likes.

He is 5’7” and about 150#. Also this bow will spend 95% of its time in a tree stand deer hunting so what would you guys get.

I am not stuck on buying accessories at my dealer. I can buy them anywhere and he will put them on. He doesn’t stock much anyway.

OR Archer

WKR
I’d look at the Hoyt Torrex models. Awesome shooting bow with good adjustability on them. They tune well also. If you’re budget is a bit more you may be able to pick up a leftover 2022 Hoyt Ventum for a decent price.

There are a ton of options but something like the Mathews VXR would grow with him. Change the mods as he grows.
Another option is a Hoyt RX3. The #2 cam will let him grow. The weight is good for a young man.
However, if he is serious and you are serious, let him choose. Take him to shoot every bow possible. He will know what feels good to him. Good luck!!

A Torrex would be a good option if you want to go with a Hoyt but don't want to spring for a carbon flagship model or its aluminum twin. The 4" of draw length adjustment would give him some room to grow. Bear also offers some nice bows (Alaskan, Escalate, Whitetail Legend Pro) in a similar price range to the Hoyt Torrex with similar features and performance.

OP
Afhunter1

Afhunter1

WKR
I’d look at the Hoyt Torrex models. Awesome shooting bow with good adjustability on them. They tune well also. If you’re budget is a bit more you may be able to pick up a leftover 2022 Hoyt Ventum for a decent price.
A Torrex would be a good option if you want to go with a Hoyt but don't want to spring for a carbon flagship model or its aluminum twin. The 4" of draw length adjustment would give him some room to grow. Bear also offers some nice bows (Alaskan, Escalate, Whitetail Legend Pro) in a similar price range to the Hoyt Torrex with similar features and performance.
My dealer has on of these Torrex and we are going to look at it this weekend. $679 I think he said.