Nevada 171-173 Mule Deer Jr. Tag

c670809

FNG
Hello Everyone,

Thank you in advance for your help. We drew a tag for my daughter in 171-173 in Nevada.

My daughter, 13, has friends who enjoy hunting so she decided that she wanted to try it. I haven't hunted in 15 years and never in Nevada. Most of my experience is hunting birds and Javelina. I want to make this an enjoyable opportunity for her.

Some background: We live in Reno so it’s a bit of a drive. I will be doing most of the scouting because she has school. Even during season most of our hunting will only be Saturday because of school and church. I plan on taking her out for a few days so we will have one trip that is Thurs-Saturday.

We have 4x4 and a quad. We can get into most areas. Overnight backpacking is not a good option at this time. We will camp at the truck and day hike. She is in great shape and can handle just about anything but I want to keep it easy so she enjoys it. Getting a deer would be great but this is really more about us getting to spend time together and having a good time.

Legally she can shoot a buck or a doe but she’s only interested in a buck. She doesn’t care about the size of the deer.

I have driven through a small section of 173 only once. It was the top section close to Austin. Other than that, I have never been there. I’ve done some reading but to be honest, I don’t really know where to start. Season for her is October 5th - November 2nd.

I have a few questions:

At that time will the deer have a tendency to still be higher in elevation?

I’ve read good things about the Arc Dome wilderness but it seems you need a horse or plan on spending a week hiking. Is that true?

Should I be looking in dense cover or more open areas?

I don’t know enough to know what to ask. I’ll plead ignorance and stupidity and just beg for your help 😉

Thanks again,

Matt Hayes - [email protected]

OP
C

c670809

FNG
Looks like I need 10 posts to PM. I only have 8. I will reply to this a couple of more times and see if it gives me the option.

I had the early archery tag last summer. Made it for one half-hearted scouting trip before getting hurt, but I can let you know where I went, etc, and pass along what I learned from the area biologists. Good luck this year!

OP
C

c670809

FNG
Special thanks to [B]n8tivenv[/B] . . . we talked last night and he was very generous with information. His desire and willingness to help was amazing.

kingderek69 . . . I will drop you a PM. Thank you!

Gehrig Tucker . . . that is one of the things n8tivenv said too! I will certainly through in a rod. She's only lake fished but I grew up fishing creeks and love it.

Thanks again everyone. I very much appreciate it.

Matt,

I'm new to this forum but am in similar situation as you are in; hunting 173 for the first time (Oct-Nov tag). Can you PM me and pay forward the information you got? Thanks in advance.

-Kyle

If you go to the NV dept of wildlife site, you will find their report on area 171-3, including the following:
"RECOMMENDED HUNTING AREAS: Deer occur in all units of the management area from the foothills to upper peaks. Lowest densities occur in unit 171 due to limited deer habitat. The greatest densities and highest harvest rates occur in unit 173, unit 172 also supports good numbers of deer. During the hunting season, the highest deer densities can be found above the dense Pinyon/Juniper belt in higher elevation, more open habitat types, from 8,500- 10,500+ feet. The best access to good mule deer country is along the west side of the Toiyabe Range, Unit 173, and the east side of the Shoshone Range, Unit 172. Look for more open country with a good mixture of Mountain Brush, Meadows, and pockets of Pine or Aspen, and Mountain Mahogany. Significantly more deer and better hunting can be found away from roads. Good mule deer habitat can be found at higher elevations along the nearly the entire length of the Toiyabe and Shoshone ranges. Patience while glassing is a must in this high country mule deer habitat. Be patient, move less, glass more. "

I suggest that you take your daughter to the historic Mizpah hotel in Tonopah for an additional memorable time.