Nevada 101-109 October rifle

Can’t believe it but I drew a Nevada deer tag with just a few points. Unit 101-109 late October rifle. Sounds like the deer will still be high unless weather pushes them down. Planning on a solo backpack hunt as of now. Wondering if anybody has any experience with this hunt? Also drew a NM antelope tag and have a caribou hunt booked for August. Going to be a busy season. 😂

mickeyelk

FNG
If I understand correctly you have the last deer hunt? Unit 102 has the most deer plus there is blm access points on the east side. Get a blm forest map and it will show public access points. If there is allot of snow when you hunt then getting a nice buck should be easier. On the west side there is Lamoille canyon. If allot of snow forget it. Deer will move down. Now for talking about no snow then Secret Pass access , between 101 and 102 should be good. Hard hiking up hill. Overland access. Good area. During the 1st and 2nd deer season allot of hunters. Harrison pass gets allot of pressure during 1st and 2nd season. But with only 150 tags pressure should not be an issue. The end of the season should be the best. Rutting deer should start.

I think he's talking about the mid season. I drew the late season tag. 180 tags this year and we are thinking about turning it back in.

wailer80

FNG
I was drawn for the early muzzleloader hunt as an alternate and non resident this year, that was a bit of a shock. I hunted the rubys a few times during archery around the overland lake area, lots of good bucks up there. We used to take horses in, but since this will more than likely be a solo trip i dont think thats an option. How is the access on the west side of the rubys around Jiggs? Is there anywhere anyone can suggest to take a side by side in and then hike up from there? Thanks

jrogerso

FNG
Good luck on your hunt. I'll be out there for the first time later this month. I'm also trying to learn as much as I can. New area and I've never archery hunted for mule deer. Only elk.

If I understand correctly you have the last deer hunt? Unit 102 has the most deer plus there is blm access points on the east side. Get a blm forest map and it will show public access points. If there is allot of snow when you hunt then getting a nice buck should be easier. On the west side there is Lamoille canyon. If allot of snow forget it. Deer will move down. Now for talking about no snow then Secret Pass access , between 101 and 102 should be good. Hard hiking up hill. Overland access. Good area. During the 1st and 2nd deer season allot of hunters. Harrison pass gets allot of pressure during 1st and 2nd season. But with only 150 tags pressure should not be an issue. The end of the season should be the best. Rutting deer should start.
We are basically doing this hunt (mid October), and I was wondering if anyone has a good spot to park a small-ish travel trailer up there? So much private land, ha ha. Or does anyone know how to get a hold of the folks at the gas station/bar? Looks like they have some RV spots. Just nervous about making the drive and not having anywhere to actually base camp. With over 1k tags out there, I am sure the pressure is going to be incredible.

Appreciate any advice on this.

mickeyelk

FNG
Overland has a area to park but you'll have company. Secret Pass has areas, but you'll have company both in 101 and 102. If you have a quad then secret pass 101 has areas you can get up into. North of Overland has an access where you can get into. All these area have no rv hookups. In 103 west side there is places to camp. There is private property access problems but nothing limiting your hunts. Mid season if there is snow you will enjoy it.

Renojxd

FNG
My daughter drew her first deer tag for area 10 this year. We have been at it for 7 days and really struggled to find deer. It’s been warm. Went to old reliable (Harrison Pass). Got into the wilderness area up high on the Ruby Crest Trail and saw a few here and there but no bucks.

Then went to the north and hunted Secret Pass for a couple days and saw more deer. A small forkie was the best we could find but couldn’t close the gap.
Not sure if it’s the large moon but we really didn’t see anything 60 min after sunrise or until 60 min before sunset.

Good luck

Braaap

WKR
My daughter drew her first deer tag for area 10 this year. We have been at it for 7 days and really struggled to find deer. It’s been warm. Went to old reliable (Harrison Pass). Got into the wilderness area up high on the Ruby Crest Trail and saw a few here and there but no bucks.

Then went to the north and hunted Secret Pass for a couple days and saw more deer. A small forkie was the best we could find but couldn’t close the gap.
Not sure if it’s the large moon but we really didn’t see anything 60 min after sunrise or until 60 min before sunset.

Good luck
It’s been crazy warm. I hunted day 2&3 of the season and I’m going back tomorrow for 5 days. Tough conditions. We found some bucks but like you said deer movement is brief. Bucks we found were very high.

OP
Hunt eat repeat
It’s been crazy warm. I hunted day 2&3 of the season and I’m going back tomorrow for 5 days. Tough conditions. We found some bucks but like you said deer movement is brief. Bucks we found were very high.
Had a similar experience. Very hot and lots of people. Actually had a couple days without even seeing a deer. Couldn’t tell you the last time that happened. Saw some beautiful country and some cool stuff but a pretty rough hunt.

Anyone get drawn in this unit for this year? With hunt quotas down 60% over last year, I am hoping to see fewer folks up there, but that also likely means fewer deer.

Last year was a tough hunt, but just had to go at it hard.

I had a mid tag and have the same this year. The 2nd week was better from what I heard, but I did tag out on a forky late in week 1.

Been good eating for sure, but just wondering who else may be up that way this year.