Nevada 043-046 info?

Status
Not open for further replies.

critrgitr

Lil-Rokslider
I drew my 4th choice antelope tag in Nevada for areas 043-046 August 22- Sept 7. Glad to have an antelope tag in my pocket for this fall. I have not been to these units and am just starting to research them in depth. If anyone has any advise on hunting there I would appreciate hearing it. 700 miles away and ridiculous fuel prices will keep the scouting and hunting to one trip. It appears there are several guzzlers but many say small animal chukar type. Can antelope access water at these sites as well, or is it really just small game? How bad is the horse population in that area? Is it as bad as 231 was?
Thanks

I drew my 4th choice antelope tag in Nevada for areas 043-046 August 22- Sept 7. Glad to have an antelope tag in my pocket for this fall. I have not been to these units and am just starting to research them in depth. If anyone has any advise on hunting there I would appreciate hearing it. 700 miles away and ridiculous fuel prices will keep the scouting and hunting to one trip. It appears there are several guzzlers but many say small animal chukar type. Can antelope access water at these sites as well, or is it really just small game? How bad is the horse population in that area? Is it as bad as 231 was?
Thanks
I have been in one of the adjoining units, and there are a ton of the small game guzzlers, and I have not seen any evidence of pronghorn using them. Personally, I have seen pronghorn in the east and southern parts of 045. I haven't spent any time in the other units, but I think the checkerboard will be a pain. Best of luck. Take lots of water and spare tires, you're way out in BFE up there.

OP
critrgitr

critrgitr

Lil-Rokslider
I have been in one of the adjoining units, and there are a ton of the small game guzzlers, and I have not seen any evidence of pronghorn using them. Personally, I have seen pronghorn in the east and southern parts of 045. I haven't spent any time in the other units, but I think the checkerboard will be a pain. Best of luck. Take lots of water and spare tires, you're way out in BFE up there.
Thanks for the information. Checkerboard can be a pain. I am used to it in Southern Wyoming. I was planning on hunting the bigger blocks of BLM. Would you recommend bringing a side by side to get around quicker and easier on the rough roads?

Thanks for the information. Checkerboard can be a pain. I am used to it in Southern Wyoming. I was planning on hunting the bigger blocks of BLM. Would you recommend bringing a side by side to get around quicker and easier on the rough roads?
In 045, the roads are very good actually, wide open and not technical, better for covering with a truck at speed. They’re just far away from anything. The distances are very large, and the nearest towns have minimal services.

chicoredneck

Lil-Rokslider
A lot of the checkerboard is unposted/unmarked and unenforced. Horses are getting pretty bad, but not quite as bad as in the eastern portion of the state last time I was there. Outside of the alfalfa fields, you will find most of the antelope in the mountains and foothills. Don’t be afraid to look high, even in terrain that seems to steep for antelope.

Muleyczy

Lil-Rokslider
Nevada trespass laws essentially, if it’s fenced, posted or agricultural don’t go otherwise happy hunting. Not the same as Wyoming, Montana etc

OP
critrgitr

critrgitr

Lil-Rokslider
I had to turn my tag back in. Had some turnover at work, and didn't have anyone available to cover my duties. I ended up with a promotion and a pretty dang good raise out of the shuffling, but had to cancel this hunt.

mkkjortiz

FNG
I have this tag this year. Looking forward to an adventure. Can’t wait to get out and start scouting.

Status
Not open for further replies.