Need to Upgrade from my Metcalf...I've read a lot...Need help.

Magnum61

Lil-Rokslider
After last season I unexpectedly was put in a situation where my faithful Metcalf pack wasn't enough. On top of that I'm realizing because of my size, my gear takes up more space than the average guy. I'm XXXL Top in pretty much every brand.

I've set my sights on a 7000cu in bag. What do people love?

Geewhiz

WKR
I am curious to know what you are looking for that a metcalf cant handle? Or are you solely talking about bag capacity?

nobody

WKR
Stone Glacier. It'll handle weight way better than your Metcalf (speaking from experience), and their big bags suck down tight and carry well as a day pack as well once you get into where you're packing. Take a look at the Sky 6900 system.

If you like the Mystery Ranch frame, you could swap your Metcalf bag for a Marshall (6405 ci) if you can find one. For some reason MR doesn’t sell the Marshall as a bag only, but you might be able to find one secondhand.

OP
M

Magnum61

Lil-Rokslider
If you like the Mystery Ranch frame, you could swap your Metcalf bag for a Marshall (6405 ci) if you can find one. For some reason MR doesn’t sell the Marshall as a bag only, but you might be able to find one secondhand.
Thank you, I've been down that road numerous times... My Metcalf is technically one of the last 3 Montana Made Metcalf packs on a Nice Frame. I wish I could find a Marshal but they're nonexistent and the new ones won't work on the frame.

OP
M

Magnum61

Lil-Rokslider
Stone Glacier. It'll handle weight way better than your Metcalf (speaking from experience), and their big bags suck down tight and carry well as a day pack as well once you get into where you're packing. Take a look at the Sky 6900 system.
Currently looking at the 7900 vs the Kifaru option. Both look nice

that is a lot of pack but I feel your pain as a fellow “husky” hunter. If you are running a nice frame and want / need to go that big, check out a tactiplane. mR military pack that is 6500 ci. You can find them on eBay for $300 bag only. I had one but never did trips big enough to fill it up so I sold it. A note of caution, between that nice frame and the bombproof construction of their military line, that pack is close to 10# unloaded.

IMO you might be better off to go with a marshal on the new MT frame for $400 or look at another company like SG or seek outside.

DeerCatcherUT/CO

Lil-Rokslider
If you’re that big, try an outdoorsman’s pack and frame. I have a big buddy who loves his after I recommended he try one out. The other brands will admit they don’t make frames to fit big guys