Need some help. Tikka, Grayboe Phoenix, and mag issues

NVVAHunt

Lil-Rokslider
So I re barreled my Tikka T3 and put it in a Grayboe phoenix stock. My main issue is I can not get the rear of the magazine to seat all the way and can’t get it to pick up the round when trying to chamber a new one. The only way I can get it to work is if I push up the mag when chambering a new round. I’ve used stock Tikka bottom metal and mags and mountain tactical bottom metal and aics mags and had the same issue. Anyone have any ideas as to how to fix this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
N

NVVAHunt

Lil-Rokslider
What in/lbs of torque are you using?

Maxed out my wheeler torque screwdriver and then hand tightened with something else so don’t have an exact spec.

Lawnboi

WKR
Yep it’s there. May replace it

With aics mags you need to take that clip out. It’s possible something is messed up if you put aics mags in the gun and didn’t remove the clip. Luckily mountain tactical makes new ones and they are fairly cheap. It sounds as if the rear is not being retained by the spring clip.

That of your inlet is off.

Also make sure your action is properly seated. Not hard for it to be off.

sndmn11

WKR
Maxed out my wheeler torque screwdriver and then hand tightened with something else so don’t have an exact spec.

The only other things I'd try are
1) put a thin washer around the front action screw in between the bottom plastic and pillar to see if a change in angle helps.

2) tighten the read screw full first and see if that helps

3) send the stock back

4) sand or scrape the inlet finish at the bottom metal to get to the pillars

OP
N

NVVAHunt

Lil-Rokslider
With aics mags you need to take that clip out. It’s possible something is messed up if you put aics mags in the gun and didn’t remove the clip. Luckily mountain tactical makes new ones and they are fairly cheap. It sounds as if the rear is not being retained by the spring clip.

That of your inlet is off.

Also make sure your action is properly seated. Not hard for it to be off.

If it was only happening with the aics mags it would be one thing but also having the same issue with factory bottom metal and factory Tikka mag. Has me scratching my head

Lawnboi

WKR
If it was only happening with the aics mags it would be one thing but also having the same issue with factory bottom metal and factory Tikka mag. Has me scratching my head

What did the action come as? A tikka lite or ctr?

This just started happening when you swapped stocks?

First I’d make sure the action is seated in the recoil lug, not uncommon to see people torque their tikka action in without it. A picture will immediately tell if it’s in there or not.

With the mag in place does it rattle? The spring clip should keep the magazine tight when clipped in the front.

You can also look in your action and make sure the feed lips are against the bottom of the action. The tighter the better with tikka magazines, if there is a gap, it means feeding problems are possible.

Macintosh

WKR
If you still have the original stock, see if it functions properly in that. If it does, you know it’s a stock issue not an action issue.

Macintosh

WKR
Sounds like pillar height is too high, action not properly seated on lug, or maybe the mag spring clip attached to action was damaged and isnt functioning properly now.

OP
N

NVVAHunt

Lil-Rokslider
Figured I’d reply to a few different things at once, and thank you all for your input and thoughts. If there are any other recommendations I would like to hear them also.

It’s def seated properly in the stock. I’ll replace the mag spring and try with factory bottom metal/mag combo.

The aics/mountain tactical bottom metal states you don’t need a mag spring but I’ll give it a shot since it also does not work without the mag spring (took it apart and tested with and without).

I can’t put it back in the factory stock since the barrel contour changed when I replaced the barrel.

OP
N

NVVAHunt

Lil-Rokslider
For anyone that is interested I replaced the factory magazine retention clip/spring with a mountain tactical one and it’s functioning fine now with the AICS mags and mountain tactical bottom metal. Even though it says you don’t need it I could not get it to fully seat the mag without it.

jeff.s

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
This is Jeff with Mountain Tactical. Thank you for your business. Call Any time. 406-595-1970