Need help deciding on a caliber.

OP
Richard

Richard

FNG
Great choice on the 280 Ackley, my favorite caliber of all time. I have 2 rifles already and a third on the way. Three more either on the way or being built in calibers based off of the 280 Ackley, 25-280 Ackley and 6.5-280 Ackley.

Enjoy your new rifle and that is a heck of a buck for it's first, going to be tough to top, but it will be a fun ride.

What bullet or load in particular were you using?
Thank you! Not sure on the load but the bullet is a 140 grain Berger VLD.

OP
Richard

Richard

FNG
Nice looking buck…Congrats!

What range and which bullet?

Love the 280AI but RS has moved me towards lighter recoil cartridges
Thanks! The deer was only 120 yards from me and I am using a 140 grain Berger VLD.

OP
Richard

Richard

FNG
Update on the Savage 280 AI. I have only killed 1 deer with it yet and it performed very well. I went on a hunting trip and shot a 2 shot group just to check if the rifle was on and the bullet holes where touching at 100 yards.

Hawk3473

FNG
some more data to consider before making a purchase:

Also, since it's relevant I owned a savage 116 in 300 wsm, that experience moved me off of savage and the 300 wsm permanently. 8" groups at 100 yards were the norm, tried 2 scopes, made savage rebarrel it, never got it shooting right. I suspect the ~1/2 turn of thread engagement on the front scope base screws was the root cause. Pretty gun, just worthless.

What ammunition were you using. I reload with Nosler accubonds and can get .5 groups. Factory loaded Nosler is almost as good. It’s my favorite hunting rifle only thing I don’t like about it is what it weighs.

Floridave

FNG
From the original list, I’d choose 30/06. Not sure if I’d go that way now if starting from scratch ( but I might) but honestly, there’s not much it can’t do, when looking at real world hunting scenarios.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What ammunition were you using. I reload with Nosler accubonds and can get .5 groups. Factory loaded Nosler is almost as good. It’s my favorite hunting rifle only thing I don’t like about it is what it weighs.
I killed this year with factory 143 eldx. I have a pile of 130 tmk and eldm that I'm loading for next year. I doubt I would like the performance of a bonded or mono bullet at Creedmoor velocities.