Need Advice: Kifaru Tarryall vs 14r

mlawrence125

Lil-Rokslider
Hello all,

I currently have a Mystery Ranch 3DAP that I use for exactly what the name says. A 72 hour bag that acts as a carry on for flights to and from missions and then becomes my "assault pack" while on location. Basically it carries a uniform plus travel accessories on the flight, and while on location it carries required duty items; Gas mask, NVG's, water, food, etc. While this bag serves its purpose well as the duty bag, it's a little small for the travel role. I was wondering what the opinion would be on the Tarryall vs 14R for this role. The Tarryall is more like the 3DAP in style, but almost double the size. The 14r is 800 cu bigger and has the center zip, plus the ability to add pockets. I was just curious if anyone has used either of these packs for this role, and wondered what the better option of the two would be. This pack is also going to be my whitetail/day hunting pack.

I currently have the 26" Tac frame with a Tac Warrior for my Ruck and don't necessarily want another framed bag.

Thanks,

Mike

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
I have owned a 3 DAP and now own a 14'r. I used the 3 DAP as my light hiking pack and travel pack. I sold the 3 DAP because in my uses, the 14'r completely eclipses it in ability and versatility. You can pack quite a bit more in the 14'r, it's got a more robust suspension, including a very large lumbar pad and a great load bearing belt. I also find it easier to pack and manage with the center zip that doesn't open all the way up at the top. Some others have expressed a different opinion but I like this feature on the 14'r because you can unzip it to grab stuff without it gaping open and stuff falling out. I've really grown fond of my 14'r and I find it to be ideal for hiking, backcountry and mountaineering type duties. It also can fill lots of roles in between because the belt is nice and maneuverable and it's not as stiff as some framed/load hauling packs so it will throw around like a daypack to some extent while still being able to haul a decent load. It will travel well, but I don't use it that way unless I'm travelling with my wife or internationally because it is quite a bit taller than the 3 DAP and I have a hard time getting away with stashing it under a seat. I have done it plenty of times though. Though I've never had the chance to use anything really cool as an assault pack, I was in the infantry and the 14'r would have been great for it.

The Tarryall is even bigger, on the same suspension, with more space to spare. It would also be great but I have no first hand experience with that one.

OP
mlawrence125

mlawrence125

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for your experience with the bag and thank you for your service. I know I said I use the bag as an assault pack, but I don't want to make it seem I do things I don't. I won't be performing raids or direct assaults probably ever in my current military career, but I will be using this bag as a duty bag and to carry "assault" gear. I am currently leaning towards the 14r because of the fact it is slightly smaller and should fit on an airline better. If it weren't for the travel requirements of my unit to have a complete uniform to include boots in transit I could get away with my 3dap. But being a response unit requires to travel under many different means and to be ready for work as soon as we hit the ground. Thank you again

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for your service as well. I've been out for some time now...not using anything cool as an assault pack meant we usually just had crappy packs, compared to today's standards. We were just switching over to the Molle packs that had the suspension systems and our unit pretty much refused to use them and stuck with the ALICE. I wish I had even known about all this cool gear back then...that was around the birth of Blackhawk and Spec-Ops Brand. (not saying Spec-Ops Brand is crap...it's some of the best/toughest gear made)

One cool thing to add about the 14'r is with how the center zip is made to end at the top, not coming in contact with the top zipper, like on the 3DAP, you can throw the 14'r on the ground and quickly get in and out of it like a duffel. It would be good for fast missions where you have to get in and get out and it contains gear pretty well. I actually wish Kifaru would make a pack just like it, but about 3 or 4 inches shorter and a framesheet that is less rigid like what's in the 3 DAP, less lumbar pad with the same belt....that would be absolutely perfect for travel.